• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Military 6.5 na

Bostonguy

Reaction score
Hi all, can I install the manifold and crossover pipe to make a nonturbo a turbo? Found one doesnt look like its been started. It's inside one of those metal crates.

You want to change the precups out to the turbo precups. Large turbos vs. the Asthma Attack factory turbo's will make the NA precups smoke bad. The smoke is manageable on a factory GMx turbo, but, still smoke more than turbo precups.

Minor things otherwise to drop it in.

What's involved in changing the precups? Would I have to do that on a teds engine that was a turbo? I found a 98 gm 6.5 rebuild by the military. Found a couple of other military 6.5s they look like new, but they're calling them rebuildable. I looked at the company's web site that builds the new 6.5 for the military. They're the ones who build the optimizer 6500? So if teds engins have double diamonds they're optimizers?

My Teds engine had the turbo precups already. It is an optimizer. I think the engines are assembled with what parts onhand. It was definatly a NA engine, as the turbo oil return had the part that ran the mech fuel pump. Maybe I got lucky, but love that Teds engine with the ATT ect.

Pull heads. Pop out precups with a wooden dowel through the injector hole. Pop in turbo precups - if needed. You will have to see what the engine has first.

precups.jpg

Back