• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Might of Thrown a rod!

Gunner0812

A(ACLU) Agent Mini Gunner
Reaction score
Last I was taken my little girl to her friend's birthday party and on the way. The truck started thumping and banging! It still has good power and the temp is holding. The thumping did quite down and you only heard it went you stopped. When I got home I checked it out and every time it thumped it it puffed a small amount of black smoke. Started it today and it was louder since it was cold. Is this a sign of a thrown rod or valve damage? Thanks for your guys help with this!

A rod will usually clatter louder when the engine is decelerating.As in gently rev it and let off the throttle. I'd loosen one inj at a time until you find the cylinder that is the problem and go from there.

I had a bad injector in my old engine that caused a real loud knocking sound, the engine shook real bad and smoked at idle, but drove fine down the road... I was convinced it was a rod knock which led me to replacing and engine that was otherwise probably fine... LOL

Double check accessory drive, see if it separated. Try to move the serp belt back and forth by hand.

My started clanking similarly. After only a year on the new motor, I was crying until I found the drive rubber separated.

Back