• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Microwaves and strontium oxide (SrO) catalyst

Drago

Reaction score
By Ron Kotrba | November 05, 2013

[Gedanken has developed a process to convert used cooking oil to biodiesel using microwaves and strontium oxide (SrO) as catalyst. <br><small></small>]
Gedanken has developed a process to convert used cooking oil to biodiesel using microwaves and strontium oxide (SrO) as catalyst.

Using microwaves and strontium oxide (SrO) catalyst, Bar-llan University (Israel) chemistry professor Aharon Gedanken, also a visiting chair professor at National Cheng Kung University in Taiwan, said at a recent press conference that he’s developed a process to convert used cooking oil to biodiesel in 10 seconds. NCKU professor Jiunn-Der Liao, who said the technology is currently in the patent application process, invited Gedanken to cooperate with NCKU faculty conducting the research.

“I was told that Taiwanese people like to cook a lot and the waste cooked oils can be a problem for the environment,” Gedanken said. “So we come up with an idea that is very unique to combine the microwave and with certain catalyst that we can fully convert the waste cooked oils into the biodiesel in 10 seconds.

http://www.biodieselmagazine.com/ar...e-team-developing-microwave-biodiesel-process

tried looking around for Strontium oxide, not something they stock at Lowe's or Home Depot, so I was wondering if anybody else was willing to wreck a few microwave ovens. Since they are patenting it I can guess they left a very critical component or step out of the article.

Yeah and it did not mention any other steps like filtering or any byproducts/waste products either. Still it sounds like good news or at least another step in the right direction.

Back