• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Metrum Rod Fuel Sending Unit. Are these as good as advertised? Other good options?

The way I understand it is not the whole fuel sending unit.

It replaces ONLY the fuel level gauge mechanism in the existing fuel sending unit.

x2
MFSU. The picture shows the whole metrum fuel sending unit but as of last March, they only had the prototype and hadn't actually manufactured them. I was trying to get one in hopes it would solve some issues I was having with the MFSR(s) I've had. No Joy.

MFSR. Other's I've seen post state they love it and I'm happy for them. Me? IMHO I think they swung and missed with this unit. I've had three of them...It's accurate as hell but only with reference to the rod. That's because the rod doesn't reach the bottom of the tank and so, doesn't measure the whole tank's depth. With a 27 gallon tank you'll still have 2" of unmeasured fuel or approx 7 gallons when the gage reads Empty, needle pegged at the bottom.

Yes he is NUTS and harming his business reputation by closing for an entire month. :nonod:

I have 2 of the Metrum Rod Fuel Sending Unit's. One in the 34 gal 93 and 1 in the 40 gal 1995. They survived corrosive wet fuel that took out other sending units like the one in the 50 gal aux tank. Installed properly and with the tank sock removed you should not have to remove the tank again except to replace the tank. They are night and day better than the factory unit that uses an obsolete corrosion sensitive design.

I have not measured accuracy on empty, but I would be fine with 2" in the tank reading empty. Tanks slosh a lot and uncovering the fuel pickup tends to kill the engine with a re-prime needed.

I have not measured accuracy on empty, but I would be fine with 2" in the tank reading empty. Tanks slosh a lot and uncovering the fuel pickup tends to kill the engine with a re-prime needed.

I would also be fine with that. Who cares if you have a reserve? I generally try to refill at 1/4 tank anyway.

Yes he is NUTS and harming his business reputation by closing for an entire month. :nonod:

I have 2 of the Metrum Rod Fuel Sending Unit's. One in the 34 gal 93 and 1 in the 40 gal 1995. They survived corrosive wet fuel that took out other sending units like the one in the 50 gal aux tank. Installed properly and with the tank sock removed you should not have to remove the tank again except to replace the tank. They are night and day better than the factory unit that uses an obsolete corrosion sensitive design.

Glad to hear it. Guess I'm "that guy" for this product.:rolleyes:

I would also be fine with that. Who cares if you have a reserve? I generally try to refill at 1/4 tank anyway.

The trick is figuring out just where a quarter tank really is. Hope you have better luck.:thumbsup:

Back