• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mercedes Return Line FYI

fugginfazt

Reaction score
You guys probably already know this........

I had a leaking return line on the passenger side so I figured while everything was removed I'd do all the injector lines. Went to pick up GM line and noticed it was really soft and used clamps. Knowing I had Mercedes line already from my 300cd I decided to compare the two. They are identical in size but the MB stuff is much better quality and doesn't need clamps. Installed the MB line 500 miles ago and all is well.
The GM stuff is really easy to pull of the injector, the MB line is very difficult to remove one it's slipped over the nipple.

:thumbsup:

I had a leaking return line on the passenger side so I figured while everything was removed I'd do all the injector lines. Went to pick up GM line and noticed it was really soft and used clamps. Knowing I had Mercedes line already from my 300cd I decided to compare the two. They are identical in size but the MB stuff is much better quality and doesn't need clamps. Installed the MB line 500 miles ago and all is well.
The GM stuff is really easy to pull of the injector, the MB line is very difficult to remove one it's slipped over the nipple.

Thanks for the info. You can always count on the Gixxer guys to help out!!

Thanks for the heads up since I know a lot of people probably looking for this type of part from stealership.

Personally, I probably would not even think to get the injector return line from a GM stealership.
There are other better resources that is more economical.

Some stanadyne dealer already carry a better return line that doesn't need clamps. Could be a bad thing when you have to remove them and the nipple comes off the injector... Of course blowing off a line while the engine is running wastes a lot of fuel quick. :rolleyes5:

IF ever you need to take a clampless hose off inj nipple,, you just cut line at tip of nipple,, and then slick the remainder off, and reuse rest of line,, more than enough slack to do so. When I did the Inj on my green truck,, I bought a install kit from Injector shop that rebuilt them for me, and it had the tougher non clamp hose in the kit.

I'm still running the original "set"(i wouldn't call it a set because they weren't pre-cut) of Tygon return lines on my K-5 from ~2010. Been through one set of injectors so far, not due to mileage but due to age.

I"ll be swapping to tygon in the 96 when the time comes, if the poor girl doesn't rust away first. :sad:

I"ll be swapping to tygon in the 96 when the time comes, if the poor girl doesn't rust away first. :sad:

I got less than a year and around 10k miles and that crap gets hard and fails. Same with the silicon tubing. Got hard and failed. Stick with the known good stuff and call it the day. Fuel spraying out of the line on a long drive can waste alot of money real fast.

I got less than a year and around 10k miles and that crap gets hard and fails. Same with the silicon tubing. Got hard and failed. Stick with the known good stuff and call it the day. Fuel spraying out of the line on a long drive can waste alot of money real fast.

Strange.

Tygon is made to handle gasoline, vibration, and heat of chain saws and other small high RPM engines. Tygon line holds diesel fuel just fine.

Are you sure you got genuine synthetic Tygon line? Sounds like you didn't to me.

Yep got the true to live good ol tygon and it got hard and loosened up and leaked like a Lousiana levey during a major huricane. The other stuff got hard and shrunk then split and it leaked as well. It was nice line and was nice to have the clear so you can see air and all but it didn't hold up at all. I have about 4 feet of it left that I carry just in case I'm out and need to replace another line on the side of the road.

Where can you get the good lines???? part # or something maybe...

As far as the MB line I have not had to purchase any for many years, so I don't have a part # handy. They sell it by the meter and if I recall it was about $12 USD per meter. My 300 CD had a leak about 150k miles ago and I bought some extra and never had to use it.

I think you could just ask for injector return line for a W123 chassis mercedes diesel ( mine is a 1983 300CD turbo diesel coupe) and they should know what your referring too.

My old 300d return line was larger then the 6.5?

My old 300d return line was larger then the 6.5?

OK well, maybe it's just the w123 300 turbo diesel's that have the same line? I've had two, one coupe, and one sedan, both turbo's, and they used the same line which I am now using on the 6.5 'burb.

Mine was a 1985 300D. The MB is better stuff. Better make sure its going to fit before you buy.

Yep got the true to live good ol tygon and it got hard and loosened up and leaked like a Lousiana levey during a major huricane. The other stuff got hard and shrunk then split and it leaked as well. It was nice line and was nice to have the clear so you can see air and all but it didn't hold up at all. I have about 4 feet of it left that I carry just in case I'm out and need to replace another line on the side of the road.

I'm still on my original set from somewhere in early 2010 which has been through a set of injectors already and was re-used.

I checked them the other day and they are still soft and pliable.

*shrugs*

Good tip on the MB tubing.

Currently have the tygon clear-yellow stuff.. So far so good. Definitely will keep some new on hand though..

Back