• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

melted wires

just a number

Reaction score
had a fun day yesterday. I got the nice smoke filling smell of burning plastic. so far I know I've cooked the dimmer control for the head light and heated a spot in the main harness by the firewall. didn't blow any fuses??? anybody got a guess of where to start looking for the short? Does anybody make a straight replacement harness/wiring section?

well I think I found the cause. the DS headlight connector was deformed and grounded the low beam wire. I was wondering if a gasser harness would work? the only things I can think of that would be different the WIF sensor, low coolant light and glow plug lights. did I miss anything?

I figured I update the progress/end results. I got to replace the headlight switch(the circuit breaker burnt to a crisp) the dimmer(which I've got the wrong one:mad2:) 2 used headlight connectors and about 20ft of wire. debating on putting a floor dimmer switch in and get rid of the one on the column? good things parts are cheap at the wreckers.:thumbsup:

Back