• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Meet my truck

pacificdrumma

Reaction score
Here's my one and only, daily driving, "low and slow" 6.5 rig. 1996 K2500 8600GVW, 4x4 (push button) auto, 3.73 non posi, extended cab, 8' bed. Bought it with 136 and change, its got 151 and change now. Previous owner had a new engine put in at 100k. He ran biodiesel thru it (home made very very low quality biodiesel) and blew it up one way or another. But he did it cheap I think, heres why. Had a new IP at 110k and since Ive owned it, Ive done a new turbo, reman IP, new glow plugs, new PMD, new starter (my fault not the trucks) and new alternator. Im not an expert on engine swaps, but it seems like he reused a lot of old engine parts from the original engine. Work done to the truck besides engine stuff includes ball joints, CV's, front pads, and junkyard rear driveshaft after my balancing weights fell off the original. Aftermarket stuff done to it includes 2" billet wheel spacers in back, PYO wheels, torsion keys up 5 turns to fit 33's, DMax style tow mirrors, Galaxy DX979 CB/PA setup, flex pipe muffler delete :D, home done cold air intake and turbo master, which is brutishly simple, I should probably re-do it, and a Sunpro boost gauge.

My plan is to soup it up a bit this year, the goal being stock LLY territory. To start with, I gotta make the truck itself right, so that means shocks all around, Monroe HD magnum gas shocks, then brakes, some front end stuff, just the consumables, then its time to spend some money to get some power.

For those who havent read my thread, Im planning on an FRC-10, FTB, gauges, ATT, 4" exhaust, intake, and injectors (3300pop :D :D). Gotta get the truck stuff done first, but then its time. Should go pretty well when its all said and done.

A little about me, Im 18, graduated high school a week or so ago. Gonna pursue a degree to teach high school history. Bit of a yuppie suburban boy you could say. I work at a John Deere dealership selling tractors and working the parts counter. I am in 4h and collect and work on vintage Sears tractors from the 70's. I have 6 right now, well ones parts so really 5. I play drums, music is a huge part of my life.

Anyway, enough talk, heres some pics of my truck.

1010241_10200309059512319_669979892_n.jpg

249189_10200154196280835_1050521414_n.jpg

943120_10200089460422479_1398010352_n.jpg

992864_10200309097073258_548482120_n.jpg

Awesome man! Glad to see another 'Drummah' around here. Been playing right around 30 years. Be age 40 (going on 12) this coming December :D

Still learning. :thumbsup:

Very nice truck, about the same as my truck. Green is my favorite color. You should have fun with the upgrades.

What do the rear wheel spacers do?

The rear spacers are for spacing the rear wheels out to match the front I bet.

Truck looks good, keep up the good work and stay focused on your goals in life. (took me a long time and being in and out of trouble a lil bit) to figure out what I want.

Very nice truck, about the same as my truck. Green is my favorite color. You should have fun with the upgrades.

The rear spacers are for spacing the rear wheels out to match the front I bet.

Supposed to help with stability, as well. When I bought mine, I considered the aluminum ones due to the price being 1/3 that of the steel. I checked the expansion rates of aluminum vs. steel, checked yield strengths, etc. (I'm a designer. Can't help but check things out) and decided I wasn't comfortable with the aluminum in this application, so I bought steel. They're still on 10 years later and I've got no issues.

A good friend of mine confirmed my concerns by telling me his aluminum spacers had cracked after less than a year of use. His is lucky to carry a four wheeler in the bed on occasion. I've grossed +30,000# before with truck/trailer combination.

Moral of the story - keep an eye on the aluminum spacers.

Thanks for the kind words guys. Ive been playing drums now going on 9-10 years, self taught, played in the band, pit orchestra, jazz band, and marching band.

Yes, the wheel spacers are for aesthetics only, I didnt like how much narrower the rear was than the front. If the aluminum spacers crack, Ill go with steel :thumbsup:

286/75/16 cooper at3 10 ply tires, yes the mirrors are a direct fit.

Thanks guys

nice stuff, but did you really mean 3300 psi pop? dont you mean 2300 psi? I run 20+ # of boost and was told to be at 2300 psi pop, much higher Can become too much pop?, I started my truck when i was 18, im 20 now, and being young and all..., I'd probably say put the HX40W-II turbo on, you're a young guy like me so I'm sure you love the sound of a nice turbo, and the hx40 sure sounds nice at 0# of boost it starts to sound like a jet engine starting up, The ATT turbo, or atleast the videos ive seen of it, it hardly produces any noise at all but thats just me, So just throwing out some suggestions and ideas hey!

But hey you might not be all in it for the sound? not sure :) and the FRC-10 pump will be perfect, i have that on my truck and its all you will need, i got the diamond eye 4" straight pipe, sounds good!

I never really did get around to taking any proper video, incase you wonder on the hx40 heres some sorta crappy vids, i never really got around to taking a proper video yet
This is just light throttle cruising along downtown
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydu7qrsdzVA

and this guys just, Idk trying to show the responsiveness of it? and how fast the boost can build? ha ha
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GHLN9RBtXgU

Yep, 3300psi pop. 2000-2300 is stock, and for a more accurate stream and ability to flow more fuel, a buddy of mine builds Bosch injectors to whatever he wants, he recommends 3300psi. He has put over 4000psi out with a stock pump and 20,000 miles later he says its still fine. The whole point of this build is longevity and power. I would take 250/450 for 10 years over 325/550 for 2 years. I am worried about too much pop, wearing out the IP by having to push fuel thru, Im still looking into it.

Im not opposed to the HX40 but I like the ATT because it has the full tech support, whereas the HX40 has the ability to leave you high and dry if an issue arises. That said, the HX40 does sound nasty and appears to be a good turbo too. I havent completely ruled it out yet. I dont mind that the ATT doesnt whistle too much, cause after all, its job is to make power, not just sound good :)

FRC-10 and 4" Diamond Eye are for sure happening.

I would love to see some good ATT videos, to help it stand a chance against the HX40 :)

well the HX 40 is pretty straight forward, i have about 15k km's on it now, no play in the shaft, you do need to get a 90 degree elbow for it, but that only costs about 150 from the guy that makes them, i think it cost me before exhaust for the turbo swap with everything needed about 500 bux?, the hx40 is also a real favorite over on dieselplace because its a huge turbo for the truck really... its also meant to push 40# of boost in a cummins so it wouldnt be sweating at 20# just starting to warm up, I personally looked into the best turbo for the lowest drive pressures and charge temps, for me the hx40 was it, Prior to buying it I actually never knew it was such a bad ass sounding turbo, and when you let off the gas after you make some boost it makes a cool sound lol

And the pop pressure, yeah I have no idea that just sounds extremely high, I set mine to what was recommended to me by the guy who makes the "buddy" chip and his chip i tell you is guaranteed to make the most power you can get for each # of boost ha ha, he told me 2300 is all I'd need, And stock I was reading these trucks were about 1900? and 1600 on the 6.2? not too sure eh

But heres another video I forgot I had, Pre-chip, at 12 seconds for the weird sound it makes when you let off the gas but I did remove the silencer ring :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GPP2t1v0ZHs

I must have watched your video 10000 times, its favorited I believe :) The HX40 definitely sounds cool thats for sure, I think the turbo is 300, the exhuast is 240, and then the elbow is whatever the elbow is haha. Now theres two HX40's right? A CKO and non CKO (what does CKO stand for?) I guess is one is 6 blade one is 8 and the 8 is better? I read in a post on dieselplace that one is 57mm compressor one is 60mm? What are the differences and how do I make sure I get the one I want?

Don't worry about the lack of vids for the ATT, I plan on changing that soon. I honestly think the ATT is better than the hx40, the turbine housing is much bigger and it makes your exhaust sound reallll good. It really opens it up, if you've ever cranked your engine without the turbo on the manifold just for s's & g's you will realize how much the gm-x series really muffles the exhaust. Don't be fooled, the att whistles and even makes the "cool sound" when you let off, it's just not as pronounced as the hx40. I think they are both great turbos, but I think the att in the long run will be the better turbo. I know for a fact the att will perform better than an hx40 with a quick spool valve like the one 6.5L and warwagon have on their trucks, everybody's hootin about it in the performance section and I can't wait to get my hands on one. Me and 6.5L have almost the same mods and he's makin right at 300rwhp so I think I'm doin good and I've only got about $3k in it. Future mods include a Heath HP-3+ camshaft w/ hardened pushrods, dsg timing gears, fluidampr, water/methanol injection. Then I will finally be done with my engine lol I like your truck man I need those wheel spacers, I just went from 33x13.50r18's to stock and I'm really missing the way the width made my truck look

There was a older version with the 6 blades? but now its a 8 blade I believe, and CKO stands for chinese knock off, thats what mine is and what everybodys been using, I'll link you to the one I got, you could look for a genuine holset one but thats going to be like 1300 bux, That said, Everybody uses the CKO's with sucess. Heres what I got .ebay.ca/itm/HX40WII-T3-Flange-Dodge-Ram-2500-3500-TURBO-CHARGER-CUMMINS-3-Exhaust-V-band-/300925160559?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=Staff edit to remove unapproved hot linkIts not the exact one or link as i got mine over a year ago, However that is the exact same ebay seller, They sell some with the T3 and T4 flange but thats the guy you need right there

Also I cannot say whether the ATT is a bigger exhaust or not, Looking at pics I'd say they break even or so, the hx 40 is a very big turbo too. It'd be nice to see if they would release the info on the ATT for its sizing and such, but they dont. The hx40 would be cheaper however to put on mind you, considering withn the 800$ bracket you should be able to have your self that 4" exhaust, but the ATT costs 800 its self. However it does include everything you do need to do it, Vs the hx40 your going to buy like 2 90 degree elbows and your filter on it after that. its honestly not much work

One thing I do look at and question, Is the ATT has a 3" intake, it must have a smaller compressor...... the hx40 is a 4" intake.... it also has its Anti surge which is probably that sound you hear when i let off the gas, Instead of the Turbo farts which can actually break the turbo shaft or damage it in some way. So assuming off of THAT I'd say the hx40 probably does have a bigger compressor.

But I know this much, and I dont have a intercooler but I was flying up some hill, hauling about 6-7k total between my box and the trailer and whats in it all, doing 22# up this nice long grade screaming 3500 rpm and it was on 1100-1150F after a minute of that so IT impressed me. Lol Bottom line is get rid of that gm turbo! ha ha These trucks become what they should of been with a tune and a new turbo! :thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Im alittle bias so FWIW:
ATT
ATT has great customer support.
ATT is a complete bolt on kit everything you need.
ATT is quieter.
ATT does same work with less boost = less stress on engine.
ATT gives better MPGs, quickly paying for itself
Non wastegated.
Can be used with a diverter or QSV.
Support for custom tunes being developed by ATT developer.
Pick up the phone and get tech support.
Sales of ATT enrichen 6.5 community because as supporting vendors sales help us continue to develope new products.

These were just off the top of my head benifits of the ATT.

http://leroydiesel.com/Air_filtration.html

The ATT does sound really nice at 20psi+ just for those who said ti doesn't whistle. Still not as pronounced as the HX but still beautiful. And I got a 0-70mph video of my ATT run with current mods (basically the change of fuel update) just been waiting for the time to upload it. How about this weekend I will post it up in the performance section. hopefully sometime saturday if nothing comes up.

Back