• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mechanical Killswitch

I never said anything contradictory to what youre saying. I didn't say you dont need one to be in those areas. All I said was this is most likely to be an issue in an enclosed area that is hazardous to your health. Exactly as you say.

I work in confined spaces underground, have required training and know the effects of low oxygen environments and LEL. I have installed LEL sensors.

AND, if you pay attention the OP was worried about his own fueling system causing a runaway, thats why I try to explain the low likelihood of being in this situation.

This is the last post from me on this thread. Now we are getting nowhere with the ego shit.

If it were my worry, as for a run-away *fuel system*, a simple freakin' 1/4 turn ball valve plumbed into the IP inlet acutated by a cable, would do fine. It would do the job. Cut the diesel fuel supply.

Goodbye.

One more situation a mechanical air shutoff device becomes handy; turbo seal or severe piston wear/damage, engine will continue to run on crankcase oil even with ignition key in off position, air shutoff is standard equipment in VW TDIs (anti shudder valve), and many Diesel engines for that matter have solenoid or cable operated air shutoffs, probability of it happening is low but if runaway happens C02 squirted in intake or rag over intake are only ways to stop the runaway if you aren't equipped with a shutdown air flapper.

Im working on a 6V92 detroit right now with one. Detroits will run out of control on crank case oil once the engine is hot.

This is the last post from me on this thread. Now we are getting nowhere with the ego shit.

If it were my worry, as for a run-away *fuel system*, a simple freakin' 1/4 turn ball valve plumbed into the IP inlet acutated by a cable, would do fine. It would do the job. Cut the diesel fuel supply.

Goodbye.
FYI,that shutdown valve is to prevent a runaway in case outside gasses enter the intake,it has nothing to do with a runaway on diesel or oil.

The fact that all oilfield site require them on all diesels must mean something,no!.
Now, i think oil companies don't give a rats ass if you blow your engine,it's prob to prevent an explosion or fire on the well site when the pieces start flying under the hood.

I believe the one that blew up in the gulf was due to a runaway generator from methane. Well that was just a piece of the problem. And they likely had some sort of safety feature.

Emergency kill switch for diesel

Here is a place to get a kill switch or emergency shut down switch that is versatile enough for almost any application. There are models that would work on any vehicle. http://Redfoxenterprises.com. any questions can be directed to [email protected]. these things really work and can shut down fuel or electric or both. :agreed:

i have worked on a lot of trucks with roda deaco valves on them. as stated they are a requirement to be on site for any oilfield site that has an upgrader and or large amounts of gas in the area, they will run on coke dust, which if you do your history homework is what Rudolph Diesel designed his engine to work on, albeit it was coal dust. That engine exploded in grand style.

Buddy is 100% right on an EFI 6.5 there is absoloutley no way that it will run away without electric power, nothing to run the fuel solenoid. now a db2 is another story if there by some miracle was something that went wrong in the governor assy, that persented no drivability issues before the runaway and was not fixed then yes it is possible that the governor may let it run(this is not very likely because it would probably run like crap).

the only engines that i have dealt with that have a known history of running away are the old 2 stroke jimmy's which most times was the person setting them up who had no clue.

the only way our engines can/will run away is if the turbo shaft seal fails on the compressor side and it dumps engine oil into the intake, i have seen this first hand on a e7-427 mack engine, you'd be amazed how much smoke comes from burning 40l of oil.

if you really want a positive air shutoff check this out rodadeaco.com they make them in just about any size, cut off some of your upper intake manifold between the turbo in install. happy happy happy

Back