• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mechanical IP help needed

searstractorfan

Reaction score
Hey anyone out their got a 6.5 mechanical IP to sell?? My cousin just toasted the one in his truck(my old 93)....He had it pegged at 4000rpms, and burried the speeedo, and killed the IP..it idles decent, but wont rev up..well it will but when it does it only runs on like 6cylinders...I think the rack in the pump is defueling...we are thinking its gonna be easier to just replace the IP....Any help is appreciated!!

Usually running the kerrapp out of the truck doesn't kill the IP, it kills the engine. ??? Better do some diagnostics. Smoke? Knock? Coolant loss?

If the IP will hit any of the cylinders it is fine. The "rack" has (2) two opposed plungers that fire all 8 cylinders via the head and rotor. It is mechanical so the only way to defuel it is by the internal governor - and that had to be cranked up to hit 4000 RPM or has failed. Way different design than a 'Dodge' rack P- Pump IP.

Check the lift pump pressure, plugged fuel filter... bad injectors... Then possible engine damage like broken valve springs.

Sounds like the IP is running out of fuel, sucking air, or a busted valve spring that is too weak to take higher RPM's.

Sounds like he was intentionally trying to blow it up and succeeded. New ip isn't going to fix the loose nut behind the wheel. Anything over 3000 rpm on one of these engines is intentionally trying to blow it up.

I have buried the needle several times, going to 3500rpm, but by then I am hitting the 128mph speed limiter in the PCM on diesel alone. It helps though to have the large turbo and 3.42 gears. I'm set up for speed I suppose.

Have it rebuilt. Very unlikely you will find a db2 2831-4911 used. They are more rare than an honest politician. I paid 250$ for core. If money is an issue use a 2829 and crank it up. Most people won't know the difference.

A friend of his father was killed by a tree falling on him that day and they was rushing over their..STUPID I thought, if he was dead aint nothing you can do...Sorry Im horrible I know...Ill have him pop the valve covers, and check for bad springs...I figured he might have screwed up the govenor in the pump..and the IP was supposedly turned all the way up, but didnt smoke like it...and he says when it runs, she puffs blueish smoke gray smoke....which I had that problem when the bearings in the old turbo started to fail...I noticed oil consumption and that smoke..changed turbo and all was good again...and he has no crossed fluid he says..water is where its supposed to be and oil is too...my 94 that was converted to mechanical would defuel or what ever it does at about 33 or 3400rpms...I tried it..but I NEVER tried it with my 93...My cousin claims that with the IP cranked and running 6.2 injectors that the injectors blew up....But I dunno...Im NO EXPERT...He said that 4 or 5 of the local diesel shops told him that the blue smoke wasnt oil it was raw fuel....and that 6.2 injectors with a 6.5 pump will blow the nozzles into the pistons..are these shops smoking dope or what?

I'd run far and fast from those alleged shops. They are obviously clueless or a good batch of weed just came in. The 6.2 nozzles are just slightly smaller than 6.5 nozzles. Nothing is going to blow the injectors into the pistons. Slightly less possible power is all . Maybe slightly better mpg,maybe.
Chevy cowboy had his 4911 rebuilt by Badger diesel[offers rebuild service on ebay] in wisconsin. As far as I know he's had no problems yet. I believe it cost around $450. Not real positive on that price. Shoot him a PM. He probbly still has the contact info.

I'd run far and fast from those alleged shops. They are obviously clueless or a good batch of weed just came in. The 6.2 nozzles are just slightly smaller than 6.5 nozzles. Nothing is going to blow the injectors into the pistons. Slightly less possible power is all . Maybe slightly better mpg,maybe.
Chevy cowboy had his 4911 rebuilt by Badger diesel[offers rebuild service on ebay] in wisconsin. As far as I know he's had no problems yet. I believe it cost around $450. Not real positive on that price. Shoot him a PM. He probbly still has the contact info.

Mine has a Badger rebuild...It seems although to be fair diagnosis is not complete, that the OS was not set properly.

I figured the diesel shops here were crazy..... Ive heard of swapping a 6.2into a truck and using the electronic stuff on the engine without injector swap....I told my cousin to call Heath or Kennedy diesel, that they are the best I know of...I didnt think of the valve springs..I need to have him check them...He might have even screwed the turbo up again...Last time the turbo went was because I had the waste gate open and it killed the bearings in less then 2000miles, so dunno if over spooling itcan do that? Also my cousin is watching that pump on ebay, and I got another guy looking for one....Thanks guys!!!

I'd still like to see some diagnostics before you condemn anything. Any smoke ?

X2.
Throwing the "wrong" parts at is expensive and can cause accidental damage like a foreign object entering the engine / parts broken during an unneeded repair / etc. If the engine starts the injection pump is not your problem. If the engine is missing - well from my engine a valve hitting a piston at that RPM is very likely so bent or broken valve. Injectors do not suddenly fail unless they get water in them. You have some warning like hard starting etc as they wear out. Unless they break a spring and melt a piston for sudden injector failure. And you would know this because the engine will not last very long with a failed injector like that.

In all cases you need to pull the heads off the engine and see what is going on. Then order parts as necessary.
If you suspect injectors, pull them and pay a local Stanadyne shop to test them. If they are not a Stanadyne approved shop don't waste your time. Some members on here could also test your injectors.

For example: I just tore my engine down thinking it broke a nylon button and dropped a rocker. I found out I dropped a foreign object in the engine (from a risky IP swap) and ruined 2 pistons and a valve. Further problems with the engine were found like a bad valve guide and ring issues. Rocker buttons are a good idea but would not have solved my problem...

So how is the LP pressure and any water in the water drain? 4K RPM is just when something happened - may or may not be relevant.

Yes she has a blueish gray smoke, and starts fine he says....their no water in anything that it shouldnt be and no oil where it shouldnt be...LP was new about a year and a half ago, but I know doesnt mean it works now...I replaced the fuel line from tank to the pump when I repalced the pump, it now has a High pressure Rubber line...What kinda diagnostics would you like to get? I can set my cousin out to get any info you need....

I'd bet it's sucking air. The DB2's will smoke and lose power if there is air in the fuel. A DB2 can also blow alot of smoke upon it's demise. Does it miss at idle ? Any knocks ?

Back