• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Mechanical 6.5????

Reaction score
Is there a completely mechanical(without electronics of any kind) 6.5 Turbo diesel? OR is there a way to make one completely mechanical? I am asking this before I rebuild my 6.2 NA for my 1989 Suburban 1500(6-lug) :agreed: :haha:. Any done this? I have heard of guys taking Modern VW engines and converting them to 100% mechanical from computer controlled. :hihi:

1993 was mechanical with a separate TCM. Get a standard and there's no electronics.

For newer OBDI and OBDII trucks, swap on a DB2 pump and you're done.

There's a downloadable PDF on how to do it on the forums somewhere.

A search should turn it up.

Bobbiemartin is the poster.

Well, done after you deal with the 4l80e transmission.

several have done this. they will chime in. leroy sells the trans controller.

Mine is a 93 6.5 It is all mechanical. The only electronics on it are: Power wire to fuel shutoff and Fast Idle solenoid, and the TPS to the transmission.

X2 on above. Your 89 should allready be fully mechanical. Only additional thing I can think of would be a mechanical kill hooked up to a cable, but that would require machining a new IP cover of some kind.
What trans you running?

92 came with the 6.5TD in regular cab only.

Mine is mechanical with a standard trans. From what I have found I have no computer.

Back