• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

maximum Tailgate load on 1995 truck ?

Chevylover

MONROE COUNTY SHERIFF
Reaction score
Perhaps not the right forum,but due to its relation to this models, I hope to get the right answer here.

What is the maximum load I could put on the tailgate on a 1995 Chevy K2500 ?

I'm thinking about buying an ATV/Quad and if I wqnt to carry it in the pickupbox, I have to drive it to the bx with ramps. Than the tailgate has to hold/resist the weight of the ATV/Quad, so how much load is the max. what these tiny cable will hold without breaking ?

ATV/Quad is weighing about 350 Kgs / 772 lbs plus driver (~100Kgs / 220 lbs). -> total ~ 450 Kgs / 1000 lbs.

Cu,
Sven

If you're worried about it breaking buy a 4x4 post for 5 bux and cut it to fit snug underneath the opened tailgate. The problem usually isn't with the cables breaking (which are probably rated at 2500lbs a piece) but the mounting hardware areas which get worn/rusted.

I have never had a problem loading my quad and have never heard there being a problem and I know dozens of guys with quads. At anyone time you will only have 1/2 the wieght on the tailgate so closer to 500lbs which is like just like two big guys sitting on the tailgate, no problem. I have had 1200lbs + on the tailgate at times and no problem but that is likely pushing it.

Most likely the rating is in the 600 pound range. The cables are the weak link. The newer trucks actually had a recall on the tailgate straps.

There was (is) a guy selling steel straps ,not sure if your year is available. Then all you have to worry about is your tailgate bending.

You might try VR Stainless Straps, LLC [email protected]

Most likely the rating is in the 600 pound range. The cables are the weak link. The newer trucks actually had a recall on the tailgate straps.

There was (is) a guy selling steel straps ,not sure if your year is available. Then all you have to worry about is your tailgate bending.

You might try VR Stainless Straps, LLC [email protected]

Yeah, have talked with him about making a set for our 88-98 C/K models. He told me, he will think about and it needs about 20 people which wants a set, to make it reliable. I told him, that I even would pay more, if he had higher costs, but actually no respone.

AND BTW : If seen these cables broke with only one person sitting on the tailgate. The problem is, you can't see what is inside of these cables. Rusted or not. It's the same as with corroded battery cables.

Cu,
Sven

Id say you would be fine, I load all kinds of things around the farm on my gate and both of my cables are broke. The gate justs rests on the bumper. So I recken to be safe replace your cables and make sure you round hing "thingys" look ok and you would be good to go. Just my two cents

FatChicks.jpg

Based on this internet pic, I think you'll be fine.:svengo:

Or you could just cut two 2x12s and put them in the bed. Make them long enough to go almost to the end of the tailgate. You can just line your ramps up to them and drive right up on them. They should distribute the weight so it's not so much on your tailgate. Your wheeler would have to break the 2x12s before it broke your tailgate.

you know Bud that just ain't rite, after I finish my technicolor yawn, :puke: I mite just have to ban your butt off the site, for physical injury to members I'm darn near blind after that post. :idea:

Gee Bud, are those two of the girls Jifaire was mentioning at the "other place". Sven, looks like you will have NO problem with your ATV. ----How do these discussions get like this?

Useful and insightful info right? :rofl: Glad I could help!:hurray:
TD, I promise to keep it full of surprises if you let me stay.:D
You fellas take care. I'm off to look for another truck, I think I may need a crew cab to hold my ladies.):h

And TD, you can edit that out if you feel it the right thing to do.

iirc the tailgate is only rated for 250, obviously they will take much more before breaking, but for how long? I broke both my cables by loading a big 4x4 atv on it one too many times, was enough of a drop that it scared the poo out of me. The bumper will stop the bottom of the gate, and the top hit the trailer jack, but I wouldn't want to do that again. I used to tow three Sportsmen atvs, would ride the first one onto the trailer then up ramps onto the truck, then stow the ramps and put the other two on the trailer. Thought it was a pretty slick system until I almost got hurt. The atv slipped off the ramps and would have been on the ground on top of me if it hadn't hung up on the trailer.
One of those things that you can do enough times until you convince yourself it is safe, but it never is. I've seen plenty of people break them with atvs, it's not even an uncommon occurrance. At least secure the ramps to the truck, that way they won't fall off if, I mean when, the cables fail.

Back