• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Max horsepower from a stock turbo?

RCpullerdude

Reaction score
How much horsepower can the stock VVT push out? I've read 32 PSI, but, how much horsepower would that be enough air for?

Thanks for any info.

Last edited:
Air pressure is only part of the equation, volume is other. Its really hard to draw a mathematical equation saying X(boost)= Y(horsepower), it depends on amount of fuel, efficiency of combustion and fuel atomization, timing, volute air passageways, actually an entire myriad of different variables. But I haven't seen many stock chargers go north of 600 Horse, although I do believe some guys, who will remain nameless, have got upwards of 50 PSI on their VVT's.

Running a stock LLY VVT above 30 psi is pretty much a waste of time. The drive pressure goes to hell pretty much at 29 psi boost at sea level. On #2 only that's enough to support ~ 500RwHp

Thanks for the info. I was wondering, as, if I end up with an LLY in the next year or two, I don't think I'd be able to part with the VVT, but I've since found a few aftermarket, higher performance re-manned VVT's.

hmmmm...... i would check out other avenues than remanned or aftermarket vvts, maybe a good fixed geo, or better yet, two!

the cheetah vvt turbos are quite nice. good priced and perform well. they will support some nice power numbers and dont require you to add plumbing and are tunable unlike a fixed turbo. they seem to able to handle 45 psi or so of boost.

lots of vids on you tube, but here is the money one:Dhttp://youtube.com/watch?v=rNETZZuBjjM

what did it put down with the cheetah?

edit: nevermind I didn't watch the video all the way through

Last edited:
Intake Restriction

The stock LLY turbo has more output capability that anyone has realized. Remove the intake restriction and you can get another 30+ HP, with 20,000 rpm less shaft. Failure point also jumps 6 psi or so. 30 psi is no longer the performance limit once this flaw is fixed.

Ozzie said:
Does this actually work? My truck is in my sig - I may be interested in trying it.

Yes it works. I don't have his kit but I modded my stock turbo mouth piece and gained 1mpg or better.

I know I am a bit late on reading this but can some one please explain to me exactly what this is talking about. I can't access the link. I have a cheetah in right now and am always looking for little ways to improve performance. Thanks

The Link is Broken, but I'm pretty sure they are Talking about the Intake Elbow.

Something like the AFE Bladerunner Elbow, or a Factory LBZ Elbow.

Back