• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Marine vs automotive distributer

03WIDEMAX

BFT
Reaction score
I'm rebuilding an OMC/Chevrolet 350 for my 85 Stingray. I have the entire engine back together except for distributer and water pump. The original distrubter is a points style with remote mounted coil. I was thinking of puting on a new HEI model, but I was not sure if there are any issues with spark.:firedevil: The alternator is sparkless and the air cleaner has a spark arrestor, is there anything special about marine distributers to prevent sparks that would cause an explosion :firedevil: in a confined engine bay?

Here is a link of what I was thinking of using....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SBC-...ptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Attachments

• MIsc 011.jpg
    MIsc 011.jpg
    86.5 KB · Views: 13
  • MIsc 010.jpg
    MIsc 010.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 13
  • engine.jpg
    engine.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 3
YES, marine distributors have spark arrestors in them as well. Also is this a straight inboard or I/O? If straight inboard then you have to make sure you get the right distributor for the rotation of the engine. If it's an I/O then it's a standard left hand rotation. I have an old MERCRUISER set-up if your interested, I haven't tested it but it's all there.

YES, marine distributors have spark arrestors in them as well. Also is this a straight inboard or I/O? If straight inboard then you have to make sure you get the right distributor for the rotation of the engine. If it's an I/O then it's a standard left hand rotation. I have an old MERCRUISER set-up if your interested, I haven't tested it but it's all there.

This is an I/O with standard left hand rotation. This mercruiser setup, is it points or Elctronic ignition?

This is an I/O with standard left hand rotation. This mercruiser setup, is it points or Elctronic ignition?

It was an 87 electronic ignition set-up. It's a little rough from being around saltwater, but I believe it would clean up. I'll try and post a pic this afternoon for you of it.

Back