• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Marine 6.5s, 300-340hp DB4 mech pump?

davo727

Reaction score
Anyone have any info on trying to get one of these marine db4 pumps and also info on what they are using for injectors?

Peninsular and also Marine Diesel which has a plant in oklahoma each make several variations of 6.5 turbo boat engines with up to 340 hp. They both list mechanical DB4 as the pump they use.

Also here is a link to Stanadynes site that shows their DB4 that lists a spec of up to 40hp per cylinder x8 = 320 i think :)

So What do you guys think about this?

http://www.stanadyne.com/new/ppt/ppt_db4.asp

http://www.marinediesel.net.nz/md330hammerhead.htm

http://www.peninsularengine.com/marine400tai.html

Looks like the mounting flange is upside down. IDK just a guess. I'm sure if it was possible someone would have already done it by now.

I wonder if that is net hp or gross. Net hp on a marine motor would be taken at the prop, I would think there would allot less loss in a out drive then in the driveline of out trucks. Although the per cylinder hp list on the IP's make that DS4 mechanical very interesting.

Imagine the possibilities with intercooling and a constant 60degree cooling flowing throughout the block with as much volume as you want. Must be fun to build marine HP.

The link for Marine Diesel has an intercooler and a supercharger instead of a turbo on that motor.

put it in a boat!

For a little over a year I have been wanting to put a 6.5 in a boat like my old 1984 Correct Craft Ski Nautique 2001. My old boat had a 351W and it loved to drink gas. I would burn over half a tank in two short trips too the lake. i figured with a 6.5 I would double our triple the economy of the 6.5.
The only problem with putting a 6.5 in a boat is the motors at the place that sales them is very expensive, more than I paid for my old boat!
Think I could build a marine 6.5 out of one out of a truck if I rebuild it?
The motors that they carry are impressive!

Anyone have any info on trying to get one of these marine db4 pumps and also info on what they are using for injectors?...

Yes, call up any Authorized Stanadyne Service Center and tell them that you want a DB2831-5722. That's right, the 4 roller head mechanical pump is listed as a DB2. This is the 310HP "Marine" 6.5TD inj pump (4 roller head with 76mm^3 stock @3500RPM). Please keep in mind that the output rating is with 3000psi cracking pressure nozzles.

New, one these babies will set you back about $1500.00. From what I understand, this pump will put out close to 100cc's max with C/K truck nozzles!

Regards,

Yes, call up any Authorized Stanadyne Service Center and tell them that you want a DB2831-5722. That's right, the 4 roller head mechanical pump is listed as a DB2. This is the 310HP "Marine" 6.5TD inj pump (4 roller head with 76mm^3 stock @3500RPM). Please keep in mind that the output rating is with 3000psi cracking pressure nozzles.

New, one these babies will set you back about $1500.00. From what I understand, this pump will put out close to 100cc's max with C/K truck nozzles!

Regards,

sweet!!!!....that would put some power to the ol' 93....where does one find this 3000psi nozzles?

Goldsburg, that 100cc's. Would that be with stock injectors or with hi-popping marine H/O injectors?

Maybe I should have said that pump would test to nearly 100cc's with stock opening pressures!:)

Running that much delivery though, I would most likely opt for the Marine nozzles set at stock +5% opening pressure. That level of delivery can cause much higher than stock injection line pressures if using stock nozzles, therefore placing higher stress on the pump drive components (including the timing chain). The larger Marine nozzles should help reduce the peak injection line pressure and the subsequent stress on the pump drive system.

You must remember that the nozzles only open at a certain pressure, that doesn't mean that the entire injector line is relieved to that pressure!!! The higher the RPM, the higher the delivery, the higher the line pressures...

Regards,

Goldsburg

Back