• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

manual transmission

I'm thinking mechanical because as far as i know any truck around the same model year as my burb has mechanical clutch assemblies and that should make it easier to locate one. Seems like ever sm465 i've ever seen was mechanical clutch. Not saying they never made one, just saying i've never seen a hydro-465 setup.

I installed several US Gear overdrives behind sm 465 trannies. These were originally made by doug nash, sold to milemarker and then bought by US gear. These units went in between the transmission and transfercase and worked very well. I also sold one ranger overdrive to a friend and he wasn't a friend after the sale. The ranger seized up after 50 miles of driving and advanced adapters didn't make it right.

I believe all sm465's after 85 had hydraulic clutches. Prices on nvg 4500's have gotten much more reasonable and are great behind a 6.2

just look for a burb, full size blazer/Jimmy C/K 85-87 or up to 91 for the R/V series. 95% of the parts interchange so it make it easy to mix and match. the only differences I can think of is the bellhousing itself, and there's something different about the pressure plate.

I figured it's time to update on my progress. the auto headache is sitting in the bed, the standard is being a PITA and not wanting to fit in. I know it will, just gotta find the right method. now I remember why it's so nice to work on smooth hard surfaces when you do this stuff. :mad2:

well it was up and running. then low decided to seize itself to the shaft doing 55.:mad2: needless to say it needs some work. currently looking for another one. there wasn't a spec of material left on the clutch itself.:eek:

OK, I will be pulling the top cover off mine to inspect it and go back with synthetic gear oil for sure. Should be easy for you to find another one .

well it was up and running. then low decided to seize itself to the shaft doing 55.:mad2: needless to say it needs some work. currently looking for another one. there wasn't a spec of material left on the clutch itself.:eek:

Ouch. :(

OK, I will be pulling the top cover off mine to inspect it and go back with synthetic gear oil for sure. Should be easy for you to find another one .

Will the synthetic help here? I've got a gallon of Mag1 80w-90 that i just bought for mine. that will work yes?

good gear oil is a good friend. mine was the cheap stuff:sad:

shit......i wonder what i should use then? Mag1 is supposedly decent.

hmmmm.... i've got one quart of Valvoline 80w-90 here and one quart of Valvoline 75w-90. i'm guessing i can't mix the two.

Any preference for gear oil? i've just got the basic store brand ATF for the tcase. i shoudl be ok for that i'd think.

should the t-case also be gear oil? the 465 will hold 4.2 quarts so you'd better get some more. one other thing to note about filling it. you can pour it down the shifter hole. it's alot easier than using the fill plug.

should the t-case also be gear oil? the 465 will hold 4.2 quarts so you'd better get some more. one other thing to note about filling it. you can pour it down the shifter hole. it's alot easier than using the fill plug.

i have that gallon of Mag1 and another quart of valvoline 80w-90. that gives me 5 quarts total. i picked up one of those "pumps" that screws onto the gallon jug so that should help. don't want to try pouring a gallon jug. can't afford more gear oil right now.

The NP208 that couples with the 700R4 took Dex ATF. i'm guessing this NP208(32 spline) will take ATF as well?

Back