• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Making Farming my Job!

Very good point. At least an Associates. Farming with the Family can be tough. I know. I farm with my dad, uncle and grandfather. Sometimes it gets a little tense. And some words are said but we always come back to good with each other. It's not always roses on the farm. These last few years we've just been really blessed with good crops and weather. If you go to school and get a job outside the farm, you always have the potential to go back. I did that. I graduated from Purdue with a BS in Ag Econ and went to work for John Deere LAndscapes. Didn't like it and went back to the farm. I tried something else and decided this is where I'm supposed to be. Grandpa even said I need to be here. So Sometimes things work out in a strange way.
Don't always bank on something unless it's a set in stone sure thing.:thumbsup: Ryan

we won't hold that against you Ryan!!! ):h

all i've ever wanted to do is farm. i went to Ohio State and graduated with a BS in Crop Science and minor in Ag Econ. i started working for the local co-op as an agronomist and got my CCA. i realized that wasn't the career i wanted, but i know it gave me valuable information. i was able to get in with the agency that did was my dad's crop insurance agent, and i became an agent about 2 1/2 years ago. it times up perfectly with the farming schedule so i'm able to work with my dad and uncle. hopefully so i will be able to add my own acreage (rented or owned) to our operation.

my advice would be go to school and get some type of degree. you will not only learn things, but you will also learn the right people to contact if you have extensive questions. the adage holds true "its not what you know, its who you know." also get a job after you're done with school so you know what its like to work elsewhere and how most businesses work. because that's how you need to run your farm if you do end up farming, like a business.

good luck!!

You want the truth? Don't farm for a living...... My dad worked for USwest (now Qwest) for 42 years and farmed on the side to make it work, and did. I am a very "mature" 28 y/o. I have worked for my dad and for a very wealthy for this area farmer since i was 16 y/o. The only reason I am still at it is b/c i was hired as a firefighter at a very young age. Like I say to a lot of people, I fight fires to pay the bills. I farm because I can. if you can farm for a living more power to you, seriously. Otherwise, get a good paying job and farm on the side. IMO, the only way to make it as a farmer is to have most of the equipment and land handed to you. Not trying to be a dick, but I see the numbers and it is a miracle to get started from scratch nowadays.
Sorry for the rant, but hey!!! Like i said, i would do it as a living if i could....

We got alot of new equipment so thats not a worry! and i was thinking of getting a job on the side maybe working at the JD dealer or something (im sure i could get a job there they know me real well for all the wrong reasons) LOL Thanks for all the imput guys very helpful i know i really want a life in Farming.. thanks.

You want the truth? Don't farm for a living...... My dad worked for USwest (now Qwest) for 42 years and farmed on the side to make it work, and did. I am a very "mature" 28 y/o. I have worked for my dad and for a very wealthy for this area farmer since i was 16 y/o. The only reason I am still at it is b/c i was hired as a firefighter at a very young age. Like I say to a lot of people, I fight fires to pay the bills. I farm because I can. if you can farm for a living more power to you, seriously. Otherwise, get a good paying job and farm on the side. IMO, the only way to make it as a farmer is to have most of the equipment and land handed to you. Not trying to be a dick, but I see the numbers and it is a miracle to get started from scratch nowadays.
Sorry for the rant, but hey!!! Like i said, i would do it as a living if i could....

That is true. I'm trying everyday to find ground to rent on my own. My cousin and I have rented a couple small farms for this coming year. I'm still looking for small tracks to buy near what we already farm. The only way to farm is to fam with a family or someone that is big enough to support you and maybe hand it down in the future. But you do need experience outside of the Farm. I would not hold yourself back if an opportunity comes up to have a good paying job and farm on the side and learn then maybe be able to take over or move into a management role.

Ryan

All the guys have given good advice. Let me chime in a bit...
I've only farmed as a sideline and always wished I could go full time but it's not in my family and the cost is just too high to get a good start.
You're 16 and things may change with your GF over the next couple of years so you'll need a plan B. What does her dad think of you and if you're right for her, will he want you in with him. You're going to have to get educated as much as you can but most importantly you need to keep your eyes and ears open for the opportunity that may show up some day. Don't have blinders on and miss it! Farming is a damned honerable profession and I admire any man that can work hard enough to make a succesful go of it but the reward is in the self satisfaction of a hard day's work. I know, I've been there... I have alot of farming friends but 90% of them have side jobs.
Good luck with your decision!

well me and her dad get along great she tells me when i leave all he does is talk good about me so i guess thats a plus LOL we will see though i just wanted to here some advice form other guys.. Me and her are like insepreble so i want to be with her so IDK she told me she wants to get her CDL for bus and there feed truck in case she needs to drive it, then i brought up the idea of being a team for truck driving and she liked the idea cause we will always be together.. i know it seems weird for someone to think about what there going to do when they get older but IDK i am its weird..

Last edited:
Never too late to go to school Justin.

No its never too late at 44 I am not even in the running for the old bunch. I see a woman almost everyday that retired and decided to go to school just to keep her mind sharp and occupy her time.

well me and her dad get along great she tells me when i leave all he does is talk good about me so i guess thats a plus LOL we will see though i just wanted to here some advice form other guys.. Me and her are like insepreble so i want to be with her so IDK she told me she wants to get her CDL for bus and there feed truck in case she needs to drive it, then i brought up the idea of being a team for truck driving and she liked the idea cause we will always be together.. i know it seems weird for someone to think about what there going to do when they get older but IDK i am its weird..

Weird? No. Uncommon? Yes.

You have a great chance to get a business education and become a real asset to the operation. Just remember, a farm is a business just like any other, get some knowlege and get to it.

Take business classes in school now and look for AS (at least) programs at your local CC or other schools in the area. Get smart, work hard, make some cash.

I might throw in one more suggestion. I am not sure what year you are in high school, but if you have the chance to attend a JVS/CDC/ vocational high school, you may want to consider looking into a industrial/ag diesel program.

Again, it could offer you skills on or off the farm. You obviously are interested in diesels. And if the schools around you have similar offerings as the one I work at, they have an articulation agreement with other post-secondary institutions. What this means, is that you obtain college credit after you have completed the high school level program.

Just remember, nobody can reposes an education.

Young fella,i wanna ad some advice from a lifelong farmer/rancher.

Do what your heart desires first, money is secondairy.
If farming is what you wanna do,try it. It aint gonna be easy in todays world.But where there's a will there's a way. Buy used equipment instead of new ,but you better learn how to fix it , otherwise you will be working mostly for the payments and/ or repair bills for the rest of your life.That's is why most farmers hold an off farm job[to try to fill in the short fall]The margin in farming is a small one and is not getting better any time soon or at all. Getting educated is all ready mentioned.
Secondly, be prepared that a partner ship is not going to last in most cases, wether with familie or strangers.Altough it may help in getting started.Been there done that.

I personally would not trade my way of life with the best paid job in the world, i am free as a bird to do what,when and how i want it. Not having to be a slave to some employer [Been there too]

I agree with what's been said above of getting some eduction so that you can be an asset to the farm. Go get educated (in diesels, welding,business, etc) so you can help when something breaks, and you know how to fix/manufacturer a part so that the operation can stay running (instead of shutting down until new part arrives).

Back