• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Making Farming my Job!

CAT MAN

Duramax Demon
Reaction score
Well ive really been thinking the past month on what im going to do with my life and i've always loved farming and now with my amazing girlfriend ive been working on her farm with her dad and brothers (mostly dad). I was wondering if this could be a good job to keep and stay with we make a good business we plant a bunch of corn and sell, have beef cattle and most of all we have a vegetable and fruit stand that makes tons of money. So my question is do you guys that are farmers think its a good idea to keep up with being a farmer or what? I know some are going to say go to collage but Farming is something that really interestest me and im happy to do it. I also have a plowing business in the winter and also more then likly drive a school bus for the school i go to because we have a bunch of school busses. so there money to be made at the farm.. what do you all think???

I would love to farm for a living but I was not born into a farming family, or did not marry into one either. I have no experience as far as making a living farming, just worked on a friends farm during my junior high and high school years and loved the work, hard as it was. Good luck with your decision.

Thanks man i agree i love the work alot better then building houses as my dad does. LOL but i think it can work in the winter when its slow i got the school bus and plowing..

I would say do what you love now while you can and keep an eye on the future incase it dont work out for you. Keep your options open though

I say go for it. I too would love to farm also, but my biggest draw back is the land prices around here are totally nuts, and I just do not want to give up my good job to relocate without getting another good job.

Who knows what the future holds? How old are you again?? I agree with what others have said, try and have a back up plan, educate yourself too, not only in farming, but is there something else you have a passion for?? And if you say your gf, then I think we need pics to decide :) :)!! J/K, but really, if you are still in school, try and sacrifice a little now for your future. You will not regret it.

I do understand how hard it is nowadays to decide from an education stand point on the rest of your life, but better off with a back up plan. When i was in highschool, so many people we going the computer route, and now some of those people have left that field and have gone into another field, or in some cases, re-educated themselves and chose a different path in technology.

I do not know how it is in your area, but up here the trades are so short in high skilled trades people, it is not funny. Would a trade be something you would also like to do?? If you go mostly cash crop, you could still ply whatever trade you choose. Maybe a tech of some kind, with a shop on the farm?? Diesel, AG & heavy equipment??

But yeah, I say go for it, because if you don't enjoy what you do, then why bother doing it.

Sorry for the long post here, just want to make sure you make a good well thought out decision.

Last edited:
Its always good to have something to fall back on, We have horses and I do hay once and again so its not my career, but the situation I am in now I wish I would have went to school. But follow your heart :thumbsup:

Its always good to have something to fall back on, We have horses and I do hay once and again so its not my career, but the situation I am in now I wish I would have went to school. But follow your heart :thumbsup:

Never too late to go to school Justin.

The conference Board is saying now that young people will have from 6-10 careers during their working lifetime... do what makes you happy, by all means, but don't wall yourself in - leave every door open that you can.

For instance: you don't have to go to school for a trade or degree now, but make sure you have your Grade 12 so you're eligible if you decide to go later.

Collect every piece of paper you can - first aid, emergency prep, whimis, cpr, etc... they ALL come in handy eventually, and show that you're a lifelong learner.

Take all the free courses you can... you want to drive school bus? Make sure you take your Safety Endorsement, Defensive driving, verbal judo, etc... they apply directly to that job, but also to others and help you construct your resume.

Anything your employer will pay for that gives you a piece of paper, take.

Farming isn't for everyone, and it's a tough life, trying to compete in today's markets. You need to be up on your technology to give you an edge, and really need to know your economics and finance to figure out what you can and can't get away with. Friends of mine who farm full-time say their farm supplies their lifestyle, and they hope to one day sell out to their kids. THEN, they'll get their money out, because they sure aren't getting it out now.

But farming is also (as you have discovered) a good life, and one you can be happy with and proud of.

Like I said, leave your doors open, in case you need to do something else, but by all means, give it a shot. Good luck with whatever you choose!

Jim

Im 16 years old and my all means i will leave all doors open if the farming thing doesnt work i would like to fall back on equipment operater.. Thanks for everyones imput.

no not yet,but there might be one more tractor to the farm if everything goes right.. and we have alot of new equipment for the farm so we dont really have to worry about that..

Right now theres a caseih 5230,Cx100 a john Deere 4450 and were looking at a 7230 JD brand new 2wd with duals

At a minimum, I would probably consider an associate's in business. Preferably, Agri-business, and start off at a local community college. Take a class or two at a time, just so that you can stay in the swing of things from a study habits POV.

A business/agri-business degree will allow many more opportunities than you think. From the "potential family-in-law" perspective, it lets them know that you are serious about the farm from a business stand point.

Secondly, if things fall apart, and you are on your own, at least you have a piece paper that says I know a little more than the other guy that applied for the same job.

Just my two cents, a teacher at a local vocational school.

it will be used for plowing and disking mostly and cutting corn im sure

At a minimum, I would probably consider an associate's in business. Preferably, Agri-business, and start off at a local community college. Take a class or two at a time, just so that you can stay in the swing of things from a study habits POV.

A business/agri-business degree will allow many more opportunities than you think. From the "potential family-in-law" perspective, it lets them know that you are serious about the farm from a business stand point.

Secondly, if things fall apart, and you are on your own, at least you have a piece paper that says I know a little more than the other guy that applied for the same job.

thank you i will take that into account:thumbsup:

Follow you heart and your dreams. You would not want to look back and think about what could have been. You still have many years to change if you need to. Good luck with the path you chose.

Very good point. At least an Associates. Farming with the Family can be tough. I know. I farm with my dad, uncle and grandfather. Sometimes it gets a little tense. And some words are said but we always come back to good with each other. It's not always roses on the farm. These last few years we've just been really blessed with good crops and weather. If you go to school and get a job outside the farm, you always have the potential to go back. I did that. I graduated from Purdue with a BS in Ag Econ and went to work for John Deere LAndscapes. Didn't like it and went back to the farm. I tried something else and decided this is where I'm supposed to be. Grandpa even said I need to be here. So Sometimes things work out in a strange way.
Don't always bank on something unless it's a set in stone sure thing.:thumbsup:

Ryan

Back