• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Making a Engine Cradle on a Skid have Question?

pgguru

Recruit
Reaction score
Has any one made a Cradle for a 6.5 to mount to a skid?
I did some research and the best answer I found was to run Boards down the sides of the oil pan and one across the front with a cut out for the harmonic balancer.

Does any one know off hand how deep the pan is?
Does any one have any better Ideas?
Thanks

The ones I make are out of steel angle iron but I have several wood ones made by other people. I'll get pics this afternoon and post them here and get some measurements .

A 2x10[9 1/2 "] is tall enough to hold the engine by the pan rails and not have the pan on the pallet There is several different examples in the pics. The one that looks like a pallet with a square hole is what I use to pick up engines from wherever I get them. a couple wood blocks under the motor mounts stabilize it. It is a 8" deep pallet. The other wood cradles work very good. The driver's side has to have cut outs for the dipstick and oil filter. The first pic isa half of the steel ones I make. I bolt them on and can move them around with a pallet jack very easily.IMG_1784_18.JPGIMG_1785_19.JPGIMG_1786_20.JPGIMG_1787_21.JPGIMG_1788_22.JPGIMG_1789_23.JPGIMG_1790_24.JPGIMG_1791_25.jpgIMG_1792_26.jpg

I have the bottom section only of one of the military steel crates that someone can have if they come get it. Its very heavy/heavy duty. You could test run an engine on it if needed.

I have the bottom section only of one of the military steel crates that someone can have if they come get it. Its very heavy/heavy duty. You could test run an engine on it if needed.
The 8 military engines I have came with just the mounting bracket for the steel container. The guy bought the engines for the containers. He didn't want the engines. The containers weigh around 700lbs!

Back