• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

MAF Sensor question

Heartbeat Hauler

A(ACLU) Agent Yoda
Reaction score
Hey all!
I got a check engine light the other day and took it to the dealer and was told the MAF sensor was the problem. The tech said that he wouldn't worry about it until it became a real problem and cleared the code. Well today the code came back so I decided to try and clean the sensor in case that was it. When I took the top of the air cleaner off and looked at the sensor it looked like the filiment of a light bulb that was burnt out. The wire was attached on one side but open (not connected) on the other side. I think it's supposed to go all the way across...right?

Anyways, I priced the MAF sensor and they are 350 bucks at GM...:eek6: GMPARTSDIRECT has them for $183, other places are the same, but are remanufactured parts. Anybody know where to get a new one?

JP

Nobody knows what the MAF sensor looks like (one that's working) that is?

Is the wire supposed to go all the way across the sensor or just part way?

JP

My recollection is that it does not go all the way across. I had some problems with mine on the 01 I had.

First of all do you have a K&N or some other non-stock filter? If it is anything that is wetted with oil a film of oil can become coated on the sensor and cause the light to come on. Clean the sensor using electronic cleaner.

Any airflow increase or restriction will also cause the light to come on.

Hope this helps.

My recollection is that it does not go all the way across. I had some problems with mine on the 01 I had.

First of all do you have a K&N or some other non-stock filter? If it is anything that is wetted with oil a film of oil can become coated on the sensor and cause the light to come on. Clean the sensor using electronic cleaner.

Any airflow increase or restriction will also cause the light to come on.

Hope this helps.
Thanks Sarge, but I have done all of the above and no oiled filter. When I first got the truck I installed an AMSOIL filter, but took it out a few months later. I am now running a swiss-cheesed stock air box w/ a stock A C Delco air filter (fairly new) since late '02. I really need to know if the wire attaches at both ends. I did clean it with tech spray and a Q-tip. I'm gonna clear the code with my EFI Live and see if the CEL comes back.

JP

best picture I could find hope it helps some.

0807dp_10_zduramax_diesel_electroni.jpg

EDIT: just saw you have an '01, IDK if they are the same or not, my bad

That is exactly what mine looks like, as a matter of fact I think the MAF sensor is the same '01 - '05. :thumbsup: Also, your pic looks like the wire does go all the way across, which means mine is fubared. I appreciate that picture it was worth a thousand words...or at least a few posts...:D

JP

Not that I'm gonna go take mine off,but I believe it goes across. Would they leave it dangling in the wind? :D

Actually I believe there is some kind of resistor on the wire or something there . Going from memory here. Has been awhile since I've taken mine out.

I actually have two one still in my stock snorkel and one in my AFE tube.

Last edited:
Ok

It goes across and there is actually two. The one shown and also one behind it although above. I'll try and take a picture

Ya look at the picture above it shows the second wire position ,both go across.

Mine was dirty anyway you gave me the excuse to take it out.

Thanks! I didn't think it would be dangling in the wind, but the wire is stiff and I thought maybe the tip of the wire was doing the "sensing". I saw the resistor, but I couldn't see the one in back. I guess this means that mine is toast.

I'm waiting for an email back from GMPARTSDIRECT to see if their part is a remanufactured one. All the local parts stores have a price of about $185, but they are remanufactured. There is an AC Delco parts store that has a new one for $323. GMPARTSDIRECT does not say it's remanufactured nor do they have a core charge...like the local stores. I was thinkin' I could buy 2 remanned sensors for the price of one new one and maybe they would work for a long time....

Anyways, thanks Mackin' for doing your maint. to help me out....:thumbsup:
JP

jp i have one i can send you if you like. pm me your address and i'll ship it right out. no charge. plus i dont think they make reman ones. i believe they are just junked.

I've thrown a couple maf codes lately and man was mine dirty. Looks brandy new now.

Autozone sells a aerosol CRC brand Maf sensor cleaner. Worked well for future referance for lurkers.

Cleaned and re-installed in less than it took to go get the spray

Thanks! I didn't think it would be dangling in the wind, but the wire is stiff and I thought maybe the tip of the wire was doing the "sensing". I saw the resistor, but I couldn't see the one in back. I guess this means that mine is toast.

I'm waiting for an email back from GMPARTSDIRECT to see if their part is a remanufactured one. All the local parts stores have a price of about $185, but they are remanufactured. There is an AC Delco parts store that has a new one for $323. GMPARTSDIRECT does not say it's remanufactured nor do they have a core charge...like the local stores. I was thinkin' I could buy 2 remanned sensors for the price of one new one and maybe they would work for a long time....

Anyways, thanks Mackin' for doing your maint. to help me out....:thumbsup:
JP

If you don't take Stacks04 maf try RockAuto.com :thumbsup:

jp i have one i can send you if you like. pm me your address and i'll ship it right out. no charge. plus i dont think they make reman ones. i believe they are just junked.
Stacks,
Are you sure abbout that? I'm not one to look a gift horse in the mouth, but those babies ain't cheap. I'll give ya a second to back out...too late PM on the way....:sifone:

Thanks!
JP

This is a reminder type thread to keep your Maf sensors clean. You will experience run ability issues now and again. Funny thing is my truck had this weird surging idle.

When I cleaned my sensor when I removed it to report here my symptoms have NOT returned! Running a gauze or aftermarket air cleaner this should be part of your maintenance.

To take the security screws out use a thin blade screwdriver,works well.

I've thrown a couple maf codes lately and man was mine dirty. Looks brandy new now.

Autozone sells a aerosol CRC brand Maf sensor cleaner. Worked well for future referance for lurkers.

Cleaned and re-installed in less than it took to go get the spray
You pegged me Mack :seeya:
If you don't take Stacks04 maf try RockAuto.com :thumbsup:
Thanks again for great info.
yup works well. the thing gets dirty even though it is after the filter. i clean mine on a regular basis now.

Stacks, your one of the reasons I love this site and the other one we used to all frequent............ brothers willing to help brothers

Back