• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Made the Switch

jmiller

Recruit
Reaction score
Made the switch to Synthetic this weekend to Rotella T6 5/40.

While fixing a couple leaks and installing oil cooler line kit from Leroy, I broke down and filled the crankcase with synthetic.

I'll see what benefits come from the switch. Expectations are a slight improvement in mileage, easier winter starts and not needing to change viscosity summer to winter.

I drive the bike too much in the summer and hardly put 3k on the truck. 5/30 is really too thin for the summer and 15/40 hasn't cranked fast enough in the winter to assure reliable starts after sitting.

I switched to the Rotella synthetic a couple years ago and love it. Runs smoother, easier to start, a little quieter and gained about 1.3 MPG after a couple of tanks. I was running 110.10 miles a day comute, so I figured what the heck. I'm still changing the oil every 5k. The only negetive I have seen so far is that the oil pressure guage is all wacky. When I put the cheaper dino in after the head gasket fiasco, the guage ran normal. The oil seems to be somewhat cleaner at change over.

John

Update: Synthetic Oil Switch

So, its been 6 months.

This morning was the first near 0F morning. Truck sat for 10 hours in 10f or colder. 2F at start up. Turned the key, waited for the "Wait" light to go out. The truck cranked right up, like it was 30 or 40F.

In this weather condition using dyno oil, it would barely start. Some times it wouldn't start and would require 30 minutes with the block heater.

Mileage has improved, about 1mpg in semi urban driving.

Pleased :hihi:

i've used 5w30 Amsoil year round in all of our vehicles for many years. I also have a FS2500 or Amsoil bypass in most of the vehicles.

It's what I did with the old 89. I was pleased with the results and see no reason to change.

Does Amsoil or Schaefer's make a power steering fluid for our old trucks?

Years ago when I checked around Royal Purple was the only company that said their power steering fluid met GM's specs.

Back