• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lucas Oil Anyone?

Reaction score
I don't know if this is the right place for this thread, but is this stuff recommended in the ole 6.5? Looks like a great differential additive. Any body using this stuff?

Not a fan. I am not an oil additive guy I feel its way better to use top notch oil / lube products then additives are not needed. If and when I change diff lube it will be a good synthetic and then should be no need for additive. If anything maybe use their fuel additive but it seems to cause me shudder on launch???? I prefer others Stanadyne mostly. Look down in the fluids sub forum for more info.

we use their honey colored motor oil consistency fuel additive for lubing the DS4 due to the unconfirmed worries about clouding the optical sensor.
We also use it in our gas stuff. non-electronic 6.xs and all other diesels here get two-cycle.

some of their stuff is decent, but like schiker, I am not an additive guy. the fuel additive is about the only regularly used lucas product on our operation.

Last edited:
I've come across a test they did(a Google search should find it) where the Lucas diff additive actually caused wear and problems. I think the fluid aerated much sooner and easier WITH the Lucas. They had a video comparison showing what happens. I'm not a fan of additives either

Lucas does make oil also. Not sure if they make a diesel rated CJ4 or not?

The Lucas oil stabilizer additive can & will foam as it may not play well with additives from other oil manufacturers.

I tried the Lucas stabilizer in my Harley ONCE, had a guy I new that thought the Lucas stabilizer additive was better then sliced bread. I could visually see the foam on the dip stick after a 50 mile hot run...needless to say that oil got dropped out of the bike when I returned home that evening, it had all of 100 miles on it.

I've used the Lucas power steering "stop leak" in both my trucks. I wasn't intending to use it for the "stop leak" portion but the steering is nice and smooth, even if the pumps do whine a bit when cold. It did however stop the leak in my pickups steering box, which was a plus. I mix about 1/2 of the small bottle of Lucas power steering stop leak with regular power steering fluid when i change the PS fluid.

I've used the Lucas oil stabilizer(both versions) in my trucks. I've got one bottle of "conventional" Lucas stabilizer in my blazer now, but i don't notice anything different other than my wallet's thinner since the stuff is ~$12 a bottle. I put it in there to see if it would thicken the 15w-40 when hot a tad to quiet my lifter tick. Nope. Won't run it again. Ran the "synthetic" version once in my pickup. Noticed nothing different, stopped using it.

Lucas does make a 15w-40 Diesel rated oil according to their brochure i looked at a long time ago.

thanks guys! I haven't added anything but oil in my truck. I was in the auto store the other day and saw their neat little gadget on the counter. From playing with it a while it looked like it did coat the gears more. But IIRC regular oil has an additive in it that makes it thinner when cold than when at operating temp. So...I was wondering what the difference would be if the two oils were heated. From the sounds of it I am going to stick to good ole clean 15w40 and keep it changed frequently. I did put some of the Lucas fuel cleaner in my wife's gasser suburban... could have found a better way to burn $15!!!

as above, a chemical reaction occurs with lucas and certain oil formulations, not all, under pressure to create excessive foaming and accelerated metal wear. not sure who would gamble on this. I only use quality synthetics in gear cases. always curious why auto$one pushes it so much. I did use it years ago and agree-no noticeable improvement. (fuel, motor, tranny, gears)

I used their PS Stop Leak on my sister's Taurus and it immediately quieted the whiny pump and stopped the seeping, and have used their Trans-Fix to limp the transmission in my car (03 Bonneville) for another 4k after the trans started acting up. I have also used some of their motor oil stuff in our older trucks, helps keep the oil pressure up and keep the seals from leaking. I wouldn't recommend it for newer vehicles tho.

Back