• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lube for an NV4500

mattthebrat

Diesel Dork
Reaction score
I am doing a fluid change on a buddies 93 with the NV4500 and I have some questions about the proper fluid for it.

My manual calls for Gm Syncrotorque fluid, so we went to the dealer, gave them the part number and got the fluid, but it came in a regular oil type quart bottle, not a traditional gear lube bottle, and it seems awfully thin, like ATF thin!
Is this right?
Also, from reading I did elsewhere, it is recommend to run synthetic 75W-90. Is this better, or is the Syncrotorque basically a modified 75W-90? I thought the Syncrotorque is supossed to have a special additive for to help lube the syncros?

What do we put in it????

the reason your manual said that is because the light duty 5-speed was the only 5-speed for 91. 92 brought the NV4500.

Also, dodge usually prices their version a bit cheaper than GM, if you decide to go OEM. otherwise i would recommend Amsoil. I am not entirely convinced with Royal Purple.

Thanks guys! Put the 75-90 in her, that is kind of what I thought, but I thought I should check.

the reason your manual said that is because the light duty 5-speed was the only 5-speed for 91. 92 brought the NV4500.

My manual is actually a 92 manual, and I double checked with another buddies 92 manual, same thing! ?????

thats odd, sure would have thought it would list the 4500.

Also, what exact oil did you put in?

Im asking cause I don't want you guys to ruin a tranny. We put 75w90 synthetic in Dad's 98 and it toasted the 3-4 synchro. Something wasn't right in the specs, it might have been GL5

I would only reccomend Amsoil, cause it is awesome and is cheaper
Then dodge, cause its cheaper
Then GM, only cause its the right stuff, and is not cheap.

Be careful, don't want to do more harm than good with an oil change.

Good Luck! :thumbsup:

good deal, the 98 is running it, sounds like shit, but sounded as bad or worse prior to change, so the oil is not at fault.

Don't worry wrecker :), i talked dad into buying a case of amsoil (the mtg lube especially for nv4500) for when we change it in the 92, and later the 98.

Also, what would you charge on shipping if i was to buy from you? Or to be cost effective, should i stay with a local amsoil dealer?

good deal, the 98 is running it, sounds like shit, but sounded as bad or worse prior to change, so the oil is not at fault.

That is the same thing with my buddies, it has this weird noise only at low RPMs and with a high load, so we figured it would be a good time to make sure it had the proper fluid, and then we sift the old fluid and see if we could find any pieces of "evidence".

Don't worry wrecker :), i talked dad into buying a case of amsoil (the mtg lube especially for nv4500) for when we change it in the 92, and later the 98.

Also, what would you charge on shipping if i was to buy from you? Or to be cost effective, should i stay with a local amsoil dealer?

pm sent

I am definitely cost effective.

pm sent

I am definitely cost effective.

Hey wrecker - could you send me a pm as well for shipping and cost of fluid. Also, anyone know where the drain and fill plug is on a NV4500? I can't seem to find the drain plug, and the only plug I can find on the side has a red tag attached to the bolt. There is a cover on both sides, but my buddy said those are for rebuild ONLY and NOT to mess with them.

Thanks for the help!

OK, the plug on the side with the red tag on it (which says "use Gm 12346190 fluid only") is your fill plug, and you are to fill to the bottom of this plug. your drain plug is one of the bolts for the PTO cover, just use the lowest one, (with drivetrain angle, high in front, low in back, one of the bottom rear bolts on either side) I can't guarantee that the seal will be intact upon re-assembly, but it should be fine.

Also, those are PTO covers, and are routinely removed to install a PTO to run equipment such as winches and pumps. they are removed all the time, just keep everything clean, and you'll be fine. If you want to remove one, I believe on the inside of the LH/Drivers side cover, there is a tack-welded "pocket" that holds a magnet, which just pops right out for cleaning.

If you want peace of mind, go to quad4x4.com and buy their filter kit (price is on site, i believe about 50-60 bucks), and geartechhd.com for a deep sump extra capacity finned aluminum PTO cover that, IIRC, already is drilled and tapped for a temp sending unit. I called a few months ago on the PTO cover and it was in the ballpark of 60 bucks.

Good luck, and if you buy the special NV4500 oil from Wrecker, you won't need luck! :thumbsup:

OK, the plug on the side with the red tag on it (which says "use Gm 12346190 fluid only") is your fill plug, and you are to fill to the bottom of this plug. your drain plug is one of the bolts for the PTO cover, just use the lowest one, (with drivetrain angle, high in front, low in back, one of the bottom rear bolts on either side) I can't guarantee that the seal will be intact upon re-assembly, but it should be fine.

Also, those are PTO covers, and are routinely removed to install a PTO to run equipment such as winches and pumps. they are removed all the time, just keep everything clean, and you'll be fine. If you want to remove one, I believe on the inside of the LH/Drivers side cover, there is a tack-welded "pocket" that holds a magnet, which just pops right out for cleaning.

If you want peace of mind, go to quad4x4.com and buy their filter kit (price is on site, i believe about 50-60 bucks), and geartechhd.com for a deep sump extra capacity finned aluminum PTO cover that, IIRC, already is drilled and tapped for a temp sending unit. I called a few months ago on the PTO cover and it was in the ballpark of 60 bucks.

Good luck, and if you buy the special NV4500 oil from Wrecker, you won't need luck! :thumbsup:

Thanks for your help!! (Oh and is there a site for attachments that you mentioned above?)

If you mean a link for the two accessories i spoke of, there are the main sites listed, but if you want, i could link them to the direct page.

If you mean a link for the two accessories i spoke of, there are the main sites listed, but if you want, i could link them to the direct page.

"Also, those are PTO covers, and are routinely removed to install a PTO to run equipment such as winches and pumps."

I was actually wondering if there was a link to winches and pumps that are available for the PTO - and kits to run them off of the nv4500.

Basically, the PTO systems consist of an in cab shifter to engage the PTO to the tranny gears. Then it is similar to a tractor setup, in the fact that the rotating shaft is there for rotating power only, then you add your accessories, like you would add your implements.

The following is how our winch truck is set up: you have the PTO, which runs a shaft on pillow-block bearings, which has a sprocket on the end, then you have a heavy old cable winch, which would have a worm gear gearbox, which is powered by a sprocket, that is connected to the PTO's sprocket by a roller chain.

Basically, this is how our 2-ton( slang for single axle truck, 10K front end, 18K rear end, Ford Louisville L700) winch truck runs, so IDK what is available in the NV4500 segment.

Well I just bought Amsoil MTG for my NV4500 (courtesy of Devin (83GMCK2500)), I'll let you know how it works out. I'm also going to tap a hole in the case to install my temp sensor and see how warm it runs.

I'm slightly concerned that the trans was filled with regular gear lube prior to me getting the truck. I've drained it and checked everything out, and it all seems to be in good shape. The input shaft however is a little sloppy - but new bearings are on the way for it.

Also, mine didn't have a magnet on the PTO cover, but instead a holder with a round magnet under the coutershaft. I cleaned it off, no weird metal on it just the usual grey sludge from wear.

i guess i got mis-informed on the magnet, i take it it was accessable from the left side though?

Also, if you don't want to bore a hole in the case, those covers are about 60 bucks from gear tech HD.

Eh, I'm not worried about putting a hole in the case, I'm going to most likley put it where the factory drain plug was supposed to be.

The magnet in mine was in the center, reached by either PTO cover.

Back