• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lower ball joint replacement

snarl95

Reaction score
I need to replace the lower ball joints in my truck again (had someone do it before so no rivets). How do you get them out?

BFH...and Band-Aids...your gonna need them... I usually set the lower arm down on a piece of 4 by 4 or 6 by 6... Anything that's really hard...just make sure that it is not right under the ball joint... Once you have it there get to beating on that ball joint from the top.. if needs be you can take a torch to it but don't get it too hot.... If all else fails AutoZone doesn't loan out the tool kit to take them out... Which you're going to need to put the new ones back in anyhow...and trust me if they're anything like mine they're a pain in the ass to get back in

I always take my Dremel tool and remove all the rust from inside to the point of almost shiny and then antisieze them on the way back in. Works good for me

BFH with a pickle fork has always worked to separate them from the knuckle for me. If you've got stamped steel LCAs and they've been changed before, then the rivets have been drilled out and you've got bolts holding them to the LCA. Life is simple then.

With the front of vehicle off ground, tire/wheel removed, turn steer wheel fully to one side, loose ball joint nut so there is a nice gap between the nut and the control arm, nut should be about flush with end of stud. with a fairly big hammer, Pound the piss out of the steer knuckle where the stud goes through. It should pop, place jack under control arm and lift, remove nut from ball joint and lower control arm. Rest should be easy. LOL

Back