• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

low power lb7

tinypeckerwood

Reaction score
my buddy has an 02 lb7, he is complaining of low power. He seems to think it is the turbo. He has talked to garret, and they tell him he needs a turbo. He says he is not getting boost. I don't think this is his problem. Ha has told me the truck is not blowing black smoke under load. This seems to tell me that the truck is not getting fuel. I would think it should blow all kinds of smoke if the turbo was bad. does anybody have any ideas?

Does he have gauges etc.? It could be a number of things. Your buddy should be able to answer the some of the fuel pressure numbers and boost with a scanner. Also, whens the last time he changed the fuel filter?

Does he have gauges etc.? It could be a number of things. Your buddy should be able to answer the some of the fuel pressure numbers and boost with a scanner. Also, whens the last time he changed the fuel filter?

I'd start there too.

He has changed the fuel filter in the last couple of months. I have already told him to do that, first. He spoke to Garret, and they tell him he should have like 6 to 15 psi of boost, with no load? I think this is wrong, no load= no boost. Also he was reading his psi through a scanner. I don't know what scanner it was. I prefer to trouble shoot w/ a real mechanical gauge. Shouldn't he be getting a fault code? Low boost or low fuel?

If you get a bad batch of fuel the power can go away real fast. The fuel filter can get clogged so bad you can barely blow through it. I had one I couldn't blow through at all. My power was way down. I can tell it is time to change the filter just by how my truck reacts when I get on her.

Back