• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Low Oil Pressure at Idle

After the oil change, it did it once today (-33 without windchill this morning, I heard -60 on the radio with windchill....yikes), but it was overall better then it had been. I really think the oil filter is just getting super-cooled and causing a slight restriction at idle.

NVW, I haven't checked my grounds yet, too freaking cold out :D

+ 4*C here today:D Leo

your oil cooler was freezin' up...mine did the same thing when it was -10f....stopped and took map gas torch and heated cooler and gauge was readin' right when i got back in....3 miles down the hi-way it dropped again.....got in to town let it idle came back up....was at 0f on way home and it didn't do it....

your oil cooler was freezin' up...mine did the same thing when it was -10f....stopped and took map gas torch and heated cooler and gauge was readin' right when i got back in....3 miles down the hi-way it dropped again.....got in to town let it idle came back up....was at 0f on way home and it didn't do it....

See, that why us dumb ass Canucks keep saying to use 0w oils, we told you so.:D:D Leo

See, that why us dumb ass Canucks keep saying to use 0w oils, we told you so.:D:D Leo

The heat here gets our heads all cloudy,:D we had -15 F the other day and highs for the last three days of +6 F. The 0w- 40 synthetic is the way to go in the cold. Had to have a Canadian friend give me the secret years ago, been doing it every winter in all my vehicles since, and have had less problems starting them in cold weather. :mad2:

The heat here gets our heads all cloudy,:D we had -15 F the other day and highs for the last three days of +6 F. The 0w- 40 synthetic is the way to go in the cold. Had to have a Canadian friend give me the secret years ago, been doing it every winter in all my vehicles since, and have had less problems starting them in cold weather. :mad2:

I noticed a HUGE difference with the 0w-40 mobil 1. Easier cranking, and QUIETER clanking.... much smoother choice.

Sounds like a hinky sending unit.

Definately hook in a mechanical gauge to see whats happening.

6.2/6.5 should have 20 Idle and 40 running at speed.

Slight increases in speed that brings normal pressure makes me suspect the sender.

The sending unit has a variable resistance device that changes the gauge reading. There is a little diaphram that the pressure pushes on and possibly the extreme cold caused a pressure spike that damaged the unit ?????

Check with manual gauge and then replace the sender.
If manual gauge shows an issue then move from that point.

Best

MGW

Guess its out with the synthetic 15W40 and in with the synthetic 0W40.

I even use 0-40w synthetic in my front loader I plow snow with. It sits outside in the cold and doesn't have a block heater. That is an either baby, without it it won't even try to start. The synthetic is definitely the way to go for the winter.

ghitch75 was exactly right. Oil cooler. I popped the grille loose and put a piece of cardboard doubled up on either side of the horn and it's absolutely perfect now, been as cold as -20 with perfect pressure. 15W40 does just fine :)

Now I need to find out why my block heater is popping breakers all the sudden:rolleyes5:

Hahaha, yup! Been using 0-40 synthetic for years with nothing but great results. Even use it in my snowblower.:smile5:

It sure helps the truck, but it still hasn't been cold enough to wear a toque, how about you Dieseldad?:D Leo

Hahaha, yup! Been using 0-40 synthetic for years with nothing but great results. Even use it in my snowblower.:smile5:

I have a Dewalt air compressor (portable) that had to be left in the house or it would trip its circuit breaker becase the oil was too think.

0w-40 solved the problem in any weather.

It sure helps the truck, but it still hasn't been cold enough to wear a toque, how about you Dieseldad?:D Leo

Ok I will bite, how cold does it have to get before you wear a Toque? We have had 0 to 4 Fahrenheit for lows for the past 4 weeks and never higher than 18 to 20. Is that cold enough in the morning for a toque??

Ok I will bite, how cold does it have to get before you wear a Toque? We have had 0 to 4 Fahrenheit for lows for the past 4 weeks and never higher than 18 to 20. Is that cold enough in the morning for a toque??

Now I'm biting.... WTH is a Toque?

BTW, Snow tomorrow, another 12-15 hours of this 6.5 making money!

Been really cold this winter. -25 seems to be the norm these days. Of course with windshield it's like -40 or so.

As for the Toque...we like to call them block heaters around here haha.

I'll post a pic for you guys :smile5:

Attachments

• block heater.jpg
    block heater.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 12
Been really cold this winter. -25 seems to be the norm these days. Of course with windshield it's like -40 or so.

As for the Toque...we like to call them block heaters around here haha.

I'll post a pic for you guys :smile5:

OK How the heck do you afford to heat when it is that cold? Dang talk about hijacking a thread, :eek: guess I am guilty. But I still want to know, that is cold -25 F is cold.

About this time a year ago we had -45*C with a wind chill of -55*C. I commented if it got any colder I would have to exchange my ball cap for a toque. Dieseldad replied he thought he was the only one to wear a ball cap in those temps. Leo

Back