• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Low fuel light - ran out of fuel.

WarWagon

Well it hits on 7 of 8...
Reaction score
What triggers the low fuel light? Is it biased off the gauge position or the voltage from the fuel level sensor?

I got a low fuel light, stopped and restarted showing 1/16 a tank left with no light and ran out of fuel in 5 miles. That is 5 miles after the 1st low fuel light. I know the cluster needs a rebuild for the steeper motors, but, I have a new in tank fuel level sensor.

Lucky me it ran out of fuel 2' from my driveway. :D

The low fuel light is turned on by the cluster module once it gets to a predetermined amount of gallons remaining. It gets the gallons remaining from the ECM based off of sending unit voltage. This is a rather common issue with the trucks, and is why many install a drawstraw or a sump in the tank. Best bet is to not let it get below 1/4 tank as anything below that and they can suck air with the stock pickup.

I get very nervous when I get close to 1/4 tank. My lift pump moves a lot of fuel, and I have the stock pickup. I should have gone with the billet pickup a long time ago.

I get very nervous when I get close to 1/4 tank. My lift pump moves a lot of fuel, and I have the stock pickup. I should have gone with the billet pickup a long time ago.

This is a big problem with the lift pumps that return the fuel to the filler neck. Alot of guys have run out with a 1/4 tank, so don't feel to bad.

the problem with the aftermarket pickup swap... is it become "fixed" vs oem is spring loaded/ free floating since the bottom of the tank flexs up/down depending on the amount of fuel left in the tank...

the problem with the aftermarket pickup swap... is it become "fixed" vs oem is spring loaded/ free floating since the bottom of the tank flexs up/down depending on the amount of fuel left in the tank...

Some cut the bottom of the factory module out and put the pickup to the bottom of teh tank through the hole. This way it is still sprung, but can get full flow. The sump is the best route.

What triggers the low fuel light? :D

Sender voltage. Your new one comes from a batch that was not calibrated the same. Your tuning is based of the original production run. Anyone with EFI can adjust it for you if you want.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back