• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

low coolant

greatwhitecracker

Reaction score
The DIC flashed a low coolant level. When I checked the coolant it was obviously low so I filled it to the line and the light is still coming on. I thought I cleared it by pulling the DIC fuse but it comes back on with no fluid loss at all. This has been going on for over a month. Any ideas??

go down to autozone a clear the code.

You have to pull the fuse for a few seconds for it to work.

I would just get the code cleared and you should be good to go.

go down to autozone a clear the code.

You have to pull the fuse for a few seconds for it to work.

I would just get the code cleared and you should be good to go.

I have checked for codes with the predator and it doesn't show any. Is the code reader at AZ better? If it is I'll give it a try.

Yeah, I had the fuse out overnight just for ****s and giggles. Sure enough message comes back like a case of the herp:D
I'm gonna try the predator again just in case

If it said "Low Coolant" on the DIC there won't be any DTC's. If the level was low enough the float on the sensor might be stuck. Try beating on the reservoir with your fist and see if that won't fix it. Its probably just stuck.

If it said "Low Coolant" on the DIC there won't be any DTC's. If the level was low enough the float on the sensor might be stuck. Try beating on the reservoir with your fist and see if that won't fix it. Its probably just stuck.
Good point. I'll go give it a few wacks

wacking it didnt work:mad:

There have been some instances where that didn't work. The coolant level sensors do sometimes go out after the level gets low enough to trip it. try unpluging the sensor and see if the message goes away. Thats usually the easiest way to tell if the sensor is bad. If its the sensor the message should go away with the sensor unplugged. (if my memory serves me correctly, Can't get dealerworld to load right now to check.):pop2:

Now to figure out if there's a problem that caused you to be low in the first place. Unfortunetelly when I had a low coolant problem it was the head gaskets letting air into the cooling system and pushing my coolant out.

PS I love this quote.

wacking it didnt work:mad:

Now to figure out if there's a problem that caused you to be low in the first place. Unfortunetelly when I had a low coolant problem it was the head gaskets letting air into the cooling system and pushing my coolant out.

PS I love this quote.

Haha! Smooth huh^^^^^^^^^^^

It seems to have been a one time thing with the low coolant. Ive been checking every day since with no change in fluid level.

Turn the key on and don't start it, stomp the gas pedal 3 times turn off the truck and then start it...It worked on the older chevy's and dodges, don't know if it still works on the chevy's. otherwise disconnect the batteries and turn your lights on for an hour or so. That should clear it

Turn the key on and don't start it, stomp the gas pedal 3 times turn off the truck and then start it...It worked on the older chevy's and dodges, don't know if it still works on the chevy's. otherwise disconnect the batteries and turn your lights on for an hour or so. That should clear it
That's how you reset the oil change light.

Mine leaked about a 1/2 gallon over 5 years. When I took it in to have it checked they said the water pump was leaking. It seemed like it would have leaked more than that if it was the water pump. I replaced my hoses and the small bypass hose (with a little help from a friend ;) ) + I got the system flushed. I hope my problem was a leaking hose. So far so good.
JP

OnEdit: Hey, my first post!!! :clap2:

Mine leaked about a 1/2 gallon over 5 years. When I took it in to have it checked they said the water pump was leaking. It seemed like it would have leaked more than that if it was the water pump. I replaced my hoses and the small bypass hose (with a little help from a friend ;) ) + I got the system flushed. I hope my problem was a leaking hose. So far so good.
JP

OnEdit: Hey, my first post!!! :clap2:

My 01 Gasser had the water pump leak. Never leaked enough to really worry me though. I think the light came on once in the 3 years I owned it. It would leak from the gasket between the pump and the block just enough to where you could tell it had leaked on the front of the block.

Back