• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

low coolant sensor?

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
Reaction score
well i went to the stealer ship to get a new sensor and they said i had to by the tank too!!(90 buc's!!!):wtf:...i don't need a tank my don't leak just the stupid sensor gets stuck and the light comes on and if you wack it it goes out...anyone know where to get just the sensor?:crazy:

btw this is for the burb..

I just cut the 2 wires going to the sensor and connected them together. No more light.. I know thats not the answer your looking for, thought Id share any ways. :)

Did you try napa or a regular auto parts store? IIRC we replaced one in the shop I work at.

no napa here in town didn't have...i look on the net at a bunch of different places and couldn't get just the sensor....where did your shop get it?

Too bad. This is gonna hurt but I just threw one out and the sensor was good. Tank leaked. IIRC I got raped too at the Stealer.

check rock auto as well they seem to be able to get just about anything, have you checked it with a meter, run it up & down fo looking at a resistance change, may be a connector issue

have looked at rock auto..no dice...cleaned the connector...still didn't help...seems to come on when ever it wants....then go 3 days to a week and never comes on...

@Acesneights1...man thats to bad i would bought the sensor off you...:banghead:

my low coolant light just came on two days ago, then went off for a day and is back on today.
Do yall think its just the sensor? How would you go about checking it?

Do you think its actually low on coolant? how do you check it with this wacky system?

on edit///

this is for my LLY so this might be the wrong thread, I found it on a search. so, if yall know, that would be great!

Last edited:
yes, but it seems low. I ran it today since the light didn't come on, checked it this afternoon and it looked low in the overflow tank, so I put some new dex-cool in it to bring it up to the hot line. I am gonna check in the morning to see if the upper radiator hose is hard or soft.

filled the tank last night to the full when hot line. it was at the full when cold line this morning and the upper hose was flat.

any ideas?

maybe just low since it is 4 yrs old and had a 1000 mile haul over two days before with gross wt of 15K?

Mine has a paperclip bypassing the sensor to turn off the light. It started as intermittent then finally failed. Also looking for a new sensor. Looks like it could be removed if you pry out the clip.

Hey! Are you still looking for the sensor/ tank? I came across the one I had today. I dint think it had the sensor but it did! Its brand new just a little dirty. Send me a p.m if your interested! If you want I can post pics!

If all else fails you might take the tank off and use some vinigar/purex or other type of cleaner for the inside of the tank to clean the sensor surface itself. Just like an RV water tank sensor gets dirty and reads wrong. My light comes on when the water temp. gets up high. Just a thought.

Back