• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lost EGR cooler

toytruckman

Reaction score
So a bud of mine lost his EGR cooler over the week-end.

His options are: EGR delete kit or the new EGR cooler from Bullet Proof Diesel.

What does everyone think would be better?

Thanks Dave

Hi Dave,

First off it depends on your emissions laws. Having and not having the EGR could be the difference between passing and not passsing inspection based on where your friend is located. If emissions are an issue and or your friend is insistent on "saving there planet one truck at a time", then I would recommend the bullet proof EGR. If it where my decision, that EGR would have been in my junk-pile on the shop floor a week after I owned the truck with a delete kit sitting in the original place.

Here is something to keep in mind. The problem with the EGR on the 6.0 motor lies within not only its build, but also a very fine balance between your coolant temperature, and your oil temperature. I high variance between those 2 temperatures is what leads to the units failure. The design isn't the greatest either, but ultimately, to keep the EGR on your 6.0 alive, those 2 temperatures need to be within + or - 10 degree's of each-other.

To further elaborate on Jamie's statement, the engine oil cooler is a major detriment to the egr cooler also. The eoc gets plugged and flow slows on it causing the egr cooler to get over heated.

I have one sitting apart here now that lost the egr cooler, no coolant lights came on and got hot enough to melt the plastic oil filter cap. Thus causing a loss of oil pressure and a no start. Ultimately ruining this engine and is either going to run through the auction with no motor or about 8000 bucks to fix it.

I know this is a way old post but on mine 6.0 when its EGR cooler blew up I ordered a delete kit from Ebay, well that was a waste of money all it had was new gaskets and freeze plugs I had to pound into the cooler. It was super easy and cheap to do. Plus it got 3 MPG better just blocking the EGR cooler. Just block the cooler, it still looks like no body has tampered with the emissions crap and it gets better MPG's

Back