• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Losing Coolant When Towing

i don't recommend firestone bags anymore after a bad experience, if i were you i would get a set of 3500 mason dump springs and overload bump stops. the only problem you will run into is your short bed frame does not have the pre drilled holes for the overload bumpstops. you will have to measure and drill your own.

as far as the firestone bags, i could never get one to pop as hard as i tried and i loaded up over 30k gross for thousands of miles. with the bags cranked all the way up around 90-110psi to prevent the 2500 springs from squatting, the ride was so stiff i bent the hitch (a class v reese titan) and the section of frame it was bolted to on a rough section of highway in nebraska.

We set up my cousin and gpas trucks with firestone bags and they gross 30K on a regular basis too thats why i mentioned the firestone bags.

I have heard of a local shop that can build leafs for $2-300 and be made for what ever purpose desired. We have a 06LLY 2500 on the farm with helpers that I can use for a template if I go with one ton lowers and helpers (junk yards want $400+ for that set up)

Could the extra coolant cause the problem?

Yes is can. The specific heat of antifreeze is less than that of water. So the less water in the solution the less heat carrying capacity. Also the higher viscosity makes the coolant move slower. It will get to a much higher temperature before it boils, but with out the ability to move enough heat it will boil. Stick to a 50/50 mix as that is where modern cooling systems are designed to work.
I'm not saying that this is your issue but it is a factor that is easy to eliminate.

Oops didn't see Mikes post...oh well.

Last edited:
Back