• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looks like its time for a IP

saturntech95

Reaction score
I have a serious issue... Every time somthing goes bad on my truck I replace it with somthing "better" so why not the IP? While am at it the turbo goes on the chopping block as well but thats another story. Basically the only use this truck will get now is pull in a car trailer, light off roading and sled pulling. Actual regular driving is out since I got another car for my daily commuting.

So since its time for a new one I figure I might as well upgrade. So I gave Peninsular a call today to get a price on one of their hopped up DB2s. Also to see what they can do if anything yet on a DS4. Well folks I an unhappy to inform you that their High Output DB2 pump is currently unavalible. They told me that one of the suppliers for the parts is out of business, they are trying to source a new supplier but its not looking good yet.

They also said they have done nothing to up the the DS4 pumps as of yet and have no plans to. So then I inquired of building a DB4 for a 6.5. After a long conversation on that subjet it basically came down to no they wont. But they gave me the reason why. Appearantly the guy there that does the DB2s can just about set the power on one of those with his eyes closed since there is only one adjustment. The DB4 however has 2 adjustments and would need to be set up on a Stanadyne factory setup rig of some sort, he described it all to me but my memory is shot to hell.....

Anyhow I got the number to a local Stanadyne dealer that I have a friend with a friend working there so I am gonna give em a call later in the week when I have a chance to see if they can do anything either with any pump to push more fuel? I figure since I have to change the pump and my truck is no longer a daily driver I can experiment a little even if it means swapping the pump out a couple times.

From what I understand a good tune for the DS4 will give as much fuel as these engines can take.

I have also been told the same that a DS4 can put out as much fuel as one of these motors can take. On that note with my current tune wich is Kennedys highest fuel tune plus running a -1.94 TDC offset even with only a GM turbo I couldnt overfuel. I mean I can roal coal up til about 5 psi then it starts to clear up and I have the slightest haze of gray ar full boost wich to me seems like the absolute boost limit and my EGTs run nice all the way through. I have hopped on the highway with my Samurai on a 18' car trailer on the back and can bark it right up to 80 at wide open without running up the EGT over 1k. I was also told that the hopped up DB2 that Peninsular built could put out more fuel than that. Plus the fact that the electonics are gone kinda adds to the reliability factor. Altho since I went to the stanadyne grey FSD I havent had any issues till now...

If it's for your obd2 talk to KOJO, he may know if more fuel than Kennedy's can be outputted. Buddy says he can get more output with the obd1 than any of the others.

If I go nowhere with a modified mechanical pump it will just get a fresh DS4 and Ill have the injectors reset and add the marine nozzles since I probably got 12k on them. Then Ill get in touch with a couple people and see if they can make a real hot tune for me. Im also thinking of pulling the heads back off to upgrade to diamond precups and maybe polish the exhaust ports and manifolds? I know people say there isnt much gain to be had there but as Ive heard before... 1 hosepower here, 1 horsepower the and eventually your making some real power...

Kojo has a race tune that he doesn't sell but maybe you could talk him into it. I'm sure you'd be on your own if you burned anything up tho. Also check out Penninsular supposedly has some bigger than the diamond precups.

ATT (or similar BIG turbo) and either a heath or kojo tune should get you some heat on the EGT side I would think. You might think of getting a bigger lift pump too though.

Ya I'll have to see if he wants to maybe let that tune out to me once I get her up and going again. I'll have to call peninsular again too about those precups, thanks for that info.

Bigger lift pump is sitting in a box in my shop, should feed whatever I can throw at it. 14psi with 100gph rating.

I can all but guarantee the program could be tweaked to output more than Kennedy's. Same goes for any other retailers. I have never seen the software for OBD2 to see just how they modify the same parameters that can be done on OBD1, but I am not talking about the actual fuel curve. The actual fuel curve is the easy one, and it only goes to 80mm3. With some measurements from our good friend Bison, it appears that the total displacement on the DS4 is about 135mm3. You cannot use all of that displacement, simply because the distribution is only over the right injection hole for so long and the fuel solenoid has to be opened before the plugers are at the bottom. And the programming does limit you, but I can tell you its well over 80mm3. The programming cannot tell you how much more it can go, its not like a fuel volume increase parameter, but there are modifiers that will take it higher, to the danger zone.

Heath does modify one of the fueling modifiers, and so I can see why they or someone has said they output 92mm3. I know that Kojo is familiar with some tricks of the trade we have discussed, and he has the software to do both OBD1 and OBD2.

Ya so I talked to a guy at my local Stanadyne repair shop and he toldm me he can rebuild one with all the updates but that's about all he can do. When I asked about moding a DB2 or DB4 he kinda sounded confused... Oh well I geuss Ill just buy rebuilt updated one and have my injectors adjusted. So I think I'll have to see what I can get for fuel with tuneing.

Saturntech95 If your looking for larger pre cups send me a pm I have a guy that will do them for you. I know a few people that have slightly larger pre cups and one that has something that is very very interesting.

Cant tell much it is still in RD but looks like it may be something that is good for a specific application. Not sure what the fuel mileage is yet but those numbers are coming. Also have to thank one of the tune guys, wouldn't have been possible without. Got to love that diesel rattle.

If I send you 4 square precups and 4 diamonds will they match after being resized? I will install them in my 95 when I pull the heads if so.

Slim as far as those pre cups go does he need cores to start with or is he doing somthing totally different?

Cant tell much it is still in RD but looks like it may be something that is good for a specific application. Not sure what the fuel mileage is yet but those numbers are coming. Also have to thank one of the tune guys, wouldn't have been possible without. Got to love that diesel rattle.

Any further news on this yet?

Back