• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking to restore a Deere 4430

4wdaaron

Hard Worker
Reaction score
I'm looking to restore a Deere 4430 that looks pretty dang rough. Anything in particular I should look for? I know there was same engine longevity problems in the 30 series.

I not a Deere person but i dont think there is nothing wrong with the 4430 engines i know of many of them with high hours still running fine.

Well when we traded ours it had over 13000 hours and never had the engine touched. Not sure what the problem was? Get a cab upholstery kit, and a new seat pad and back. Not real expensive for how much better it will look. Check the SCVs for leaks, probably end up installing a lot of new o-rings but again not that hard or expensive. Check the cab mount bolts, seen those broken before, and make sure the rubber is good. We thought our 2 speed went out once on ours but it was the shifter not being able to move right because the one cab mount had shifted. Also check the shift linkage and scv linkage, the balls get worn and come apart. Also slap a rear view interior mirror in it, JD has the bracket and mirror, the holes are already there. I can't stand driving anything without one of those. It will probably also have pretty worn tie rods, check them for play, and the front end pivot. Tons more small things but you've probably found most of it already.

The 30 series engine issues were in the 4030 they had the 379 CID Dubuque engine (we call them a DEYPUKE). The 4430 has a tried and true 404 with a turbo. The 404 is damn near bulletproof.

Last edited:
Well when we traded ours it had over 13000 hours and never had the engine touched. Not sure what the problem was? Get a cab upholstery kit, and a new seat pad and back. Not real expensive for how much better it will look. Check the SCVs for leaks, probably end up installing a lot of new o-rings but again not that hard or expensive. Check the cab mount bolts, seen those broken before, and make sure the rubber is good. We thought our 2 speed went out once on ours but it was the shifter not being able to move right because the one cab mount had shifted. Also check the shift linkage and scv linkage, the balls get worn and come apart. Also slap a rear view interior mirror in it, JD has the bracket and mirror, the holes are already there. I can't stand driving anything without one of those. It will probably also have pretty worn tie rods, check them for play, and the front end pivot. Tons more small things but you've probably found most of it already.

NAR mentioned refurbing the cab.

http://www.fehrcab.com/CabKits.asp

we've used those type in the past. they work pretty well. good luck.

we're looking for an open station (no cab), but i'll bookmark that website for sure! That's good to hear that yours made it over 13,000 hours without being touched, you must take good care of your equipment.

Cabs are nice and all, but not when you're looking to save weight for planting delayed male seed corn, or when towing irrigation pivots.

Back