• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for a tool. Whats it called and where to buy?

Burning oil

LeroyDiesel.com
Vendor
Reaction score
A mechanic let me use a really nice tool today. I can only try to describe it.

It was used like a test light, but it had a digital read out. You hooked it to both ground and +12 bat terminals. You could also induce voltage to a wire. It had a tone for + or - results.
It was not one of those "ice pick" type probes. This one had the display in your hand, it also had small LED lights to point at the work/wire.

Make since yet? Whats it called?

Digital multimeter. Top of the line brand is Fluke. There are several different types with many options

Sent from my SCH-I535

Its not a conventional multi meter where two leads run out of a box. It was all contained in the handle right wher you need it instead of behind you on the fender or tring to prop it up just to watch it fall again as soon as you connect the wires your working on!!
I want to say its called a "power" something??

Power probe III. also by he accessory kit that has the extra probes and lead extender.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...P206412.aspx?gclid=CIiPsPjioMACFQ5gMgodSmkAWQ
cant find accessory kit at the moment...

both in 1 kit
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-78301-power-probe-ppkit03.aspx?gclid=CLjD2ojjoMACFeJcMgodRmgAfA

no clue about this company, just first hit on the search to verify this is what you want.

If this is it, let me know and I can sales pitch it for you so you know it is magical. No I don't own 1- I own 2. I will never work automotive electrical with out it.

If it's yellow it's probably made by Fluke. Pretty sure I've seen what you're talking about.

Sent from my SCH-I535

Power probe III. also by he accessory kit that has the extra probes and lead extender.

http://www.nationaltoolwarehouse.co...P206412.aspx?gclid=CIiPsPjioMACFQ5gMgodSmkAWQ
cant find accessory kit at the moment...

both in 1 kit
http://www.thetoolwarehouse.net/p-78301-power-probe-ppkit03.aspx?gclid=CLjD2ojjoMACFeJcMgodRmgAfA

no clue about this company, just first hit on the search to verify this is what you want.

If this is it, let me know and I can sales pitch it for you so you know it is magical. No I don't own 1- I own 2. I will never work automotive electrical with out it.

Yes! thats it! thank you. I had heard of Power Probe before, just never used it. It was way cool and maid the different jobs under the hood so easy. Like powering up the LP, checking fuses, testing OPS.....ect

The guy that let me use his today must have had a different brand though? as I did not recall seeing Power Probe anywhere on it.
Thanks, the hunt for one is now on!

Make sure you get the power probe III (#3 in roman numerals). Used it once and your hooked? Normal.

Here's the skinny: You can use the cigarette lighter adater or the 2 alligator clips to hook to a battery. you can test with the probe for negative or positive and it has a digital gauge to ell you the voltage, also green led for ground and red for power. buzz for ground and beep for power.
There is a 2 position momentary switch that in position 1 supplies power to the probe or in position 2 supplies ground to the probe.

Example: electric fan not working. hook up tester and test for power at fan. no power. supply your own power by touching the button and fan works- good fan. next check relay for fan. go to relay. check power into relay, supply negative to activate relayand all works good. go to temp switch on engine. check for power or ground depending on sensor. bypass sensor with button and bingo you found problem. goof up and power to your frame? built in breaker-quick reset and keep going.

Its like a test light, volt meter, continuity tester, positive and negative jumper wire all in one. Absolutely the fastest and easiest electrical test tool available. The accessory kit has extension lead, probe ends

Hey Leroy, once your hooked on that for a few months and you want to find some electrical shorts, look again to power probe. Think that might be it in the master kit, but cant tell looking on my phone right now.

Btw their customer service is top notch.

Yes get that one, that has the basic tool and accessory kit all in one.

A tip for all- talk to a Snapon or Mac Tool guy in your area, have him look at your set up and tell him what kind of work you do. Now let him earn his keep by PROVING to you what will make your life better. I know, no one wants to see stuff they don't want to spend $ on. Trust me it is worth it. Make a list of the tool wish list and When you figure your ready at least you know what would make the job easier. Also good list to have for the family a week or to before b-days and such- makes it easy for them.

When I was a Mac guy, 100% cash up front before ordering customers got a discount whenever there was wiggle room. Ask for it, and remind them the other customers are making payments- you are full cash. Guess what, started that when I was a customer, saved a lot over the years.

And tool trucks can beat prices a lot of times. Contrary to popular belief, they are not always expensive.

And yes you are right, it was a very nice tool. I was sold as soon as I used it. But I forgot to ask the guy what brand it was. I just told him I liked it and he said I could get one at AutoZone?? I thought NO! but had to go check anyway. All they had were the ice pick type.
I thought it was to nice to be at Auto Zone.

It got here today! just got in though so I'll test it out tomorrow. Looks like a real nice tool.

I've been debating getting one myself. They really need to make something like it for household/"low voltage". Would have been really nice today...

Seems like I've seen something simular. Maybe the fluke that Mike was talking about?

Not with 120/240. The big idea power probe is the power supply being added and the carried ground. If you are drawing power from "a" phase in the house and push power into "b" phase you did not just test the circuit with the safety of a resettable breaker, you turned it into 240v. I don't think your plasma tv would like that much.

Also to draw power and groundfrom the main sorce so it is clean voltage means you are basically dragging an extension cord from the panel to say a bed room. It's not just possibly damaging to the components, it would be a p.i.t.a.

It works on cars because its never more than 50' and always 1 phase.

Yeah, we were working on a control panel in our hog barns, would have been nice to use it to test some circuits, power up a motor. But yeah, I see what you mean, lol.

Back