• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for a mild lift for an '08 Chevy 2500HD

Status
Not open for further replies.

12ga diesel

Jack of all, Master of none
Reaction score
Nick, I figured I would ask you this question. I'm looking for a mild lift for my new '08 2500HD LMM CC/SB. I was thinking something like a 2" lift or a leveling kit to raise the front end at least 2" or so. My question is would the lift kit if I went with that, come with new thicker tie rod arms or would I have to go with a set of the Cognito tierod arms? I off road with my truck for work and play, and want to have the comfort of knowing that I don't have to worry about the tierods. Also maybe you would have to PM about this, but what would either a leveling kit or a 2" lift run me? What brands would you suggest? Thanks for all your help.

Just buy the Cognito leveling kit and get all their upgrades... they are the only ones who make the upgraded tie rod ends and all that crap...

From all that I have read, mostly at the old home, Cognito IS the one stop solution to beefing up and improving GM suspension. I know Nick at Nor-Cal Truck has sold or installed a ton of these kits. There is a thread at the old home that really showcased a lot of his work, it is a good one to dig up and look through the trucks. At the bottom of our homepage there is the Vendor section, Nick is listed in there.

If I go with the Cognito leveling kit, would I have to or would it be a good idea to go with the Cognito Idler & Pitman arms? Or is that something that would be part of the leveling kit. The more I think about it, the more I lean towards the leveling kit. 33" tires the max you can go with that set up or can you get away with 35's?

I run the leveling kit from Nick and I havent had any problems with it. From what I understand, its always a good idea to run the Cognito Idler & Pitman arms as well. I still need to do the tie rods yet.

I'll make sure Nick sees this thread.

Attachments

• HPIM0859.jpg
    HPIM0859.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 29
I run the leveling kit from Nick and I havent had any problems with it. From what I understand, its always a good idea to run the Cognito Idler & Pitman arms as well. I still need to do the tie rods yet.

I'll make sure Nick sees this thread.

I love the stance your truck Nick (and the lights too, but that's for a different thread). That would be the way I would go with mine.

Let me first start off by showing how the GM/Chevy IFS front end works. Then show you where the Cognito leveling kit helps or fixes the main problems when leveling.

Ok,

The Cognito UCA kit does not give you lift.

Here is what a stock GM UCA and factory frame stop should look like.
* This space will very on every truck that comes off the show room floor because GM sets there trucks up alittle deferent per what tire package they put on the truck.

42.jpg

After you crank your bars up you start to loose rebound/drop out travel.

33.jpg

When you turn your keys up you limit the travel first with your factory shock. Easy fix with extenders or longer shocks.

31.jpg

After the shock you loose drop out travel between the UCA and frame stop. A bad ride at that point, metal to metal. You also get a bad factory ball joint angle that binds and will wear out fast. Also the factory UCA does not allow for correct alignment spec. most of the time.

32.jpg

Turning your bars up are the number 1 upgrade GM owners do to get a little bigger tire under there trucks. So Cognito looked at the problems that occur and came up with there Cognito 2-3 leveling UCA kit. The bases is to correct ball joint angle and alignment specs. When testing there set up they found that the factory CV shafts will allow for alittle more drop out than factory allows. So when you find that the stance you get after cranking your bars is where you want your truck to sit and your ride has gone bad then you have ran out of drop out travel, the Cognito UCA will give you 2" more drop out from there to gain your ride back.

36.jpg

35.jpg

40.jpg

ABOVE -Cognito 2-3" Leveling Kit, Cognito pitman & idler support, Idler pivot w/gusset, Bilsteins 5100's Front/Rear, 285/65r16 BFG M/T's on stock wheels

14.jpg

ABOVE - Cognito 2-3" Leveling Kit, Cognito pitman & idler support, Idler pivot w/gusset, Bilsteins 5100's Front/Rear, Nitto Dune Grapplers ,18" KMC black HOSS wheels

Again does the Cognito UCA kit give you lift? No, it corrects the problems that occur when you level your truck with factory UCA.

- For guys that are drag racing using 4wd and sled pullers, this kit is not for you because the CV angles are greater than you can use at that torq. when in 4wd. A 4" lift with a drop front diff. will work better since you will have level CV angles not cranked up.

- Guys that are every day drivers and regular 4wd offroading, this kit is great for you to get bigger tires under the truck for a better look.

- This kit works best with Bil5100's front and back.
- You can add a rear 1" block and u-bolt to raise the rear as well.

Also look at this link:

http://www.norcaltruck.com/cognito-2-3.html

Hope this helps....

Nor-Cal Nick

I'm looking to put this Cognito 2-3 on our '02 2500HD EC LB, which the front end has sagged. It was hitting the stops, so we cranked it (just a little bit). Will I still be able to fit 285's on stock rims without going overboard on cranking?

You could do it but you will loose travel/ride or need to trim to fit. Don't pay much attain to the adjustment bolt more than the space between the UCA and frame stop for the ride GREEN Zone. Follow the stuff above and keep it in the green and you are good. Just decide on the shock upgrade, extenders or new shocks.

You could do it but you will loose travel/ride or need to trim to fit. Don't pay much attain to the adjustment bolt more than the space between the UCA and frame stop for the ride GREEN Zone. Follow the stuff above and keep it in the green and you are good. Just decide on the shock upgrade, extenders or new shocks.

Thanks! That is great information! I think I will be going with a shock upgrade of some sort. Probably the 5100's (and 265's as long as they don't look stupid)

Now all I have to do is get dad to find a new truck!:hurray:

Yep thats the lift I want. That would be perfect for me. Put some 285 BFG's on it, and that would be ideal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back