• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking for a guard for a 4 1/2" Metabo grinder. The center is about 1 15/16" Does anybody have some

I have several guards off of Dewalt grinders, I could measure one up. Shipping might be the killer cross border.

As long as the center is close to 1 15/16 it should work. I can not believe I don't have anything here. I've gone through several grinders over the years

Found out the grinder model is 7015 and the guard is discontinued.

You could send it to Showalters Fly-in fishing if that would save much money. There are people from here that go there several times a year. Just have to get somebody to bring it back.

Showalter's Fly-in Fishing Ontario Canada - Welcome To ...
www.fishshowalters.com

I have 3 different grinders and all the guards are different, the Dewalt and Milwaukee have a 1.75" diameter. My 7" Makita is 1 15/16" but I don't have the guard. All three have a different way off locking, I think you will need the specific brand guard.

We have 2 different style of metabos at work, one is a 4 1/2" with a thumb switch on the back, and the other style is a 5" with a full length paddle handle on the front (One of the guys and I switched because he hates bigger gaurds, but I like using the 5" cut off disks). The gaurds interchange on them. I will look tomorrow to see if any have model number labels not worn off them.

For anyone not aware, Metabo grinders can't be beat. Im a huge dewalt fan, but metabo is better ergonomics, more powerful, and outlasts everything on the market.

I have 4 Metabos and one Milwaukee - I've never killed a Metabo yet.

I killed a bunch of Dewalt, Black and Decker and Milwaukee 4 1/2" grinders.

I keep something different on each grinder. The milwaukee has a cup brush. The metabos have a cut wheel, grinding wheel, flapper wheel and flat brush.

I must have needed the guard off of the flat brush grinder for some reason and forgot to re-install it. Could be anywhere, including a field or grain elevator

I looked at multiple metabos at work, none of the model numbers are left. but I did try swaping the gaurds around, all the 4 1/2" and 5" could interchange. If you want to be sure before ordering a part, take your grinder into the weld shop or whatever is near you to test fit the guard, then have them order that guard.

The 4 1/2" is easier to get into tighter spots, but I foun d the 5" wheels last way longer so I use that guard.

My brother said he has a guard. Thanks

This Metabo is the oldest I have. Once a grinder goes to wire brush duty, it's because I think it may be on it's way out. It's been on wire brush duty for many years

Yeah, when the drive gears make more noise than the wheel against the metal...

If its just low on power, maybe check the brushes- sometimes you can just clean up the face and it helps.

Good to know about longevity of metabo grinders. My dewalts can go to wire duties and I need new ones for cutting stone and metal. One can never have enough grinders. I only like changing wheels when worn out, never to change grinder purpose.

Attachments

• IMAG0193.jpg
    IMAG0193.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 3
Good to know about longevity of metabo grinders. My dewalts can go to wire duties and I need new ones for cutting stone and metal. One can never have enough grinders. I only like changing wheels when worn out, never to change grinder purpose.

Metabo makes at least 2 grades of 4 1/2" GRINDERS. One is much heavier duty than the other. Also bulkier and heavier - fatter too - which makes it harder to hold onto with my dog paws anymore. Though I did notice today when changing the starter on the Tahoe, that my hands fit in places they didn't used to. Don't know if that's good or bad. LOL

Paws - ha!

On changing the grinder wheels, that one of the places metabo wins. Tap the trigger on then off as you turn it over, the whole wheel is slowing push in the lock button. It is so well built it won't hurt anything in there. Do it with any other grinder and the gears won't last long. Takes about 2.5 seconds to swap out.

Until I started using metabo dewalt was my favorite. I prefer the smaller metabo with the thumb switch.

One thing about a grinder- there is nothing better that will teach you how to properly use a torch.

Jrsavoie, the rep is coming to town in a week or so, if you don't have something by then I'll try to beat one out of him for you from old stock somewhere.

Paws - ha!

On changing the grinder wheels, that one of the places metabo wins. Tap the trigger on then off as you turn it over, the whole wheel is slowing push in the lock button. It is so well built it won't hurt anything in there. Do it with any other grinder and the gears won't last long. Takes about 2.5 seconds to swap out.

Until I started using metabo dewalt was my favorite. I prefer the smaller metabo with the thumb switch.

One thing about a grinder- there is nothing better that will teach you how to properly use a torch.

Jrsavoie, the rep is coming to town in a week or so, if you don't have something by then I'll try to beat one out of him for you from old stock somewhere.

My brother had one that worked.

Thanks

I have rarely used my torch in the last 20 or so years. Between the sawzall, metal cutting circular saws and portaband I eliminated most of my need for a torch. I went from using one almost daily to hardly using a torch at all.

Back