• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking at an LLY

Acesneights1

Reaction score
found a 2004.5 with an lly. 4dr with 130k. It's stuffed pretty good in the nose but the title is clear. Guy wanted 8k. I figure I could put it back together for about 2-3k in parts. It's a Chevy but since it needs grille, hood fenders etc does the GMC nose fit ? I like the look better. Also what do you guys think about 8k ? lly is the coveted motor no ?

LBZ is the better of the first three generations...at least the LLY is not plagued with injector and head gasket issues...

there were some random over heaters that had big debate ad nauseum over how to correct it...the best fix I believe was in sealing the cooling stack or putting the lbz mouthpiece on it...then adding electric fans if necessary...but most of the over heaters were in the south/southwest towing heavy on grades etc......so you may not ever experience the same situations...

I'm sure changing the core support and maybe the inner fenders along with the GMC front cap should work...

If you have to replace the whole nose then you can switch to a GMC one . As for any overheating issues with the lly its hit or miss, some do some dont. Since the front end has damage you could put a banks intercooler on it which will drop the egts quite a bit and possibly an lbz radiator which I believe has a greater cooling capacity.

Couple dealer Duramax trucks around here ranging from 10 - 15K running and not wrecked. Maybe high mile, but, throw some fuel injection parts at them like the high pressure regulator valve and a new front end and go... Local AZ research, aka Killerbee, found that LLY's had a restricted turbo mouthpiece creating a 4PSI drop in front of the turbo. Imagine the heat added to create 4 PSI when you run the turbo out of it's range...

Back