• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking at a Tahoe to add to the stable...

Yup sure would like to find a nice Tahoe or yukon with a 6.5 I will be a looking...

That may very well be what I do Buddy...might have to travel to get one, but that would be OK, I'll make a trip out of it...not in a hurry, just thought I had found a nice clean no rust one owner there, but I never even got a chance to look at it, no biggie...

When it's meant to happen...it will ;)

My 95 gasser has a 4L60E TBI Motor and has 220K on it I bought it with under 100K when I was 16. It went through many years of all out mudding, doughnuts, towing stock trailers at stupid speeds, and full throttle neutral drops all on the original tranny. What is wrong with these trannies exactly??? I did add a corvette servo toward the end when the timing problems started to plauge the truck (it is on the 2nd ignition module and 5th distributor cap)and that was 40K miles ago.

I will admit it is a bit worn now but heck I would be limping along to if someone ran me that hard!

That may very well be what I do Buddy...might have to travel to get one, but that would be OK, I'll make a trip out of it...not in a hurry, just thought I had found a nice clean no rust one owner there, but I never even got a chance to look at it, no biggie...

When it's meant to happen...it will ;)
I've been keeping my eyes open in my travels around here Greg.

I had a 4L60 fail behind a 5.7 in the wife's '97 Tahoe. Was repaired under warranty but she never ran it hard at all. Never had any trouble with the ones in '99 Yukon/5.7 or '02 Tahoe/5.3. I don't know what her '07 Tahoe/5.3 has. Probably 4L60 but whatever it is, it whines alot. Works ok though.

I fried a 4l60 in my 02 GMC EC/SB 2wd w/ 4.8 EFI Live, Cold Air, high flow cats and 3in single exit dump, 4.10's, 265/75's, corvette servo and o/d billet servo. I also got the engine to start knocking with only 160K on it, yeah I hauled alittle too much @$$.

Most 4l60's I have been around have went 100-200K easy, in a stock set up. A 4L80 is alot beefier and will take tons of abuse but a 4L60 used for intended purposes in 1/2 ton trucks aren't bad.

Doesnt go well with an LT1 motor. I lost 3rd and 4th gear in mine. When I bought the replacement the dealer says they replace a lot, and my uncle has a tranny shop and he said the same. but then they replace a lot of every tranny Im sure. But mine went with no warning, no slipping, no hesitation, nothing, then no shifty for me. Some NA 6.5s came with 4L60Es and I would not trust that either. My coworker here had it in his suburban, stopped working, so he got one out of a junkyard and it had the same problem. So they took it apart and both had the same piece broke and ended up "fixing" it until he could trade it in.

Mine was slipping 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. Drained the tranny fluid, I put fresh in w/ new filter and deep pan when I bought the truck, after the slipping it was black a smelled bad, I refilled with 1/2 ATF 1/2 Lucus stop slip and took it easy until i sold it.

Back