• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Looking at a 6.5L truck, any input on it?

88gmctruck

02GMCtruck
Reaction score
So, a truck has came about that has peaked my interest. I'd be buying this to leave largely stock, and tow the trailer with.

It's a 93 GMC Sierra, K2500 w/ 8,600 GVWR, Excab Longbox. It's a 6.5 L65 "F" motor, NV4500, 4x4, with 3.42 gears. The truck is Victory red and black with grey interior, loaded SLE with the normal bells and whistles for it's day. Truck has 180k and they are asking 5k for it.

214.jpg

215.jpg

Truck is a two owner, second owner bought it in 94 and had it since. It's very clean looking from what I can tell, driver's seat isn't even worn. I'd like to see a few less miles on it, but if it is properly maintained it shouldn't be a problem (I know the NV4500/NP241/14FF are basically bulletproof in these).

What kind of things should I be specifically looking for with the 93 motor? I know it has a mechanical pump, which i'm not as familiar with.

If I were to get it, the scaffolding (running boards), front bumper and bed rails would be hitting the scrap pile, and it'd get towing mirrors and cablights.

That's a real nice looking truck, interior look's real nice. Well for a 17 yr. old truck the mileage isn't out of line. Look's like the 2nd owner put most of the miles on it so if the seller's up front about it you should be able to find out all the important particular's about the truck.

Mark

Tell the dealership you would like to speak to the 2nd owner they could call him to find out if he would mind.

Mark

Well, I was thinking 4k was fair for it if it's in excellent shape.

As far as rust goes, we don't have many problems around here with it, but yeah, I'd go through it with a fine tooth comb.

imho i hate 3.42 gears for around town and they dont do good with bigger tires but with the gearing of the nv4500 it might be better than the 4l80

Oh, NV4500 gearing is far superior to the 4L80E in my opinion.

NV4500 --------- 4l80e

Low: 6.34:1 --------- n/a

1st: 3.44:1 --------- 2.48:1

2nd-1.71:1--------- 1.48:1

3rd-1.00:1 --------- 1.00:1

4th-0.73:1 --------- 0.75:1

The mechanical fuel pump has a reputation for hard starts when the engine is warm. Don't know how many miles one should expect the pump to have before you start seeing the problem. My '93 has the problem, and I've more or less quit using it until it's fixed, as I just couldn't rely on it to start. My truck has over 300k miles, so the one you're looking at may be ok. Lots of threads on this issue. Be aware.

It's a good looking truck and you will be happy with the pulling ability for your trailer. Like others, I think $5g is a lot for a 17 year old truck, but relative to what? A new diesel 4wd, extended cab will be close to $40,000, plus whatever the sales tax rate is where you're at, and higher insurance and registration costs for years to come. If you pay a little more for it than what you think bottom dollar is, yet you get a nice truck that you can use for the next 7 or 8 years, what is that worth spread out over the time frame? Look it over, make sure everything works, and go from there. A new set of tires will be nearly $700, so keep that in mind.

BTW, I like the running boards and maybe the bumper, so if you buy it and scrap them, let me know. I might want them.

I would be very concerned about it being overheated because of the bumper with no nostrils. $5000 is way too high.
Automatics can run higher gear ratios because of the slippage in the converter. NV4500s can and do break. They are very spendy to fix and very hard to find a complete used replacement for under $1500.
I'd look the body over real close. That isn't a factory paint job.
I tow 10,000lbs pretty regular with the 92 in my sig. It has 3.42 gears. The biggest problem is trying to go 55 mph with it. The sweet spot is about 70 mph.

Yeah, I thought about the bumper not having the intake holes, however we rarely get over the 90s in the summer, most of the year it's much lower. But still a concern.

I know NV4500s can break, but they are very long lasting if maintained. And yes, they can be harder to find however my uncle has rebuilt transmissions his entire life and I can get great deals on trans parts through him. Speaking of finding a replacement, I actually lucked out and found a complete setup to convert my 88 to a NV4500. Yes I had to pull it from the truck but I got EVERYTHING for $400.

As far as the paint, the picture looks washed out, but I ran a vin breakdown and it was originally that color combination. Victory red with the center black 2-tone, with a red and silver accent stripe between.

--------------------

Some bad news. Now, A friend of mine went up and took a look at it. He said it's very clean in and out. The paint appears to be original and has average scratches and is starting to oxidize on the hood. The truck has 262k miles, not 180k (when I called he must have thought I was talking about a different truck). Supposedly the motor is a re-man with low miles. He said the motor looks clean and doesn't appear to be leaking, and fired right up. Apparently the lot has had the truck for some time now and is about at the "make me an offer stage."

So, I'm still going to swing in and look at it, no reason not to. Doubt it'll be even worth thinking about at this point though.

It is ~$1000.00 too high for 180K miles. The miles it has means you look at door latches, hinge bushings, feel the trans for syncro wear and listen to the rear end. Steering box wanders a lane or two and front end wear? It may be a black hole for parts.

A good running truck is hard to get for less than $3500 regardless of miles.

You can offer buy it now on ebay for $4000.00 and get a deal for a 1993 with ~124K on it.

1993's like that more or less don't have a computer and no PMD to fail. No kitty factory on 1993 2500HD's. Just a few parts you will not have to replace... Other than hot start issues on a worn DB2 pump it will start and run till it is out of fuel. A turbo master and 1/4 turn of the IP screw and it will be a peppy truck over stock.

Damn wish it was closer to me I would like to look at that myself. Personaly I'd go in with the offer of $3500 cash and go from there. But definatly push to talk to the last owner mainly to get the milage on that engine and IP.

That's not even close to victory red paint. Victory red is close to fire engine red, solid color, no metalic.

I can assure you, it's victory red. That is just a really washed out photograph. I thought it was copper orange originally, but it's not. It has been seen in person :D

Well are ya getting it? I love the look of that truck. And seeing your threads you would make that thing ridiculous!

I never knew a 6.5 had the guts to break a NV4500, our 94 cummins had an NV4500 and it never had any issue for over 200k and we had it turned up a bit nothing crazy but enough to make a little soot.

I think that truck is awsome and if you got it for 4K I think it would be a steal.

Back