• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

long term storage maintence

Goin back to Iraq?

I wouldnt put it in one of those POV storage lots on post. Granted, it is secured, units dont give a crap about the vehicles in there and they leave it up to rear d to keep an eye on them...They pretty much sit under a blanket of snow and bake in the summers.

Dont waste your time with one of those car covers either. As windy as it gets up there, it'll blow off in a week.

What I would do if you do put it in those lots out on old post, get some jack stands and jack it up high enough so your tires are off the ground. Disconnect both batteries while you're at it because they'll surely be dead as a doornail when you get back.

Might wanna get some fuel stabilizer as well. I wouldnt leave much fuel in the truck, maybe a quarter tank or less and load it with stabilizer so it wont algae up.

They also do have indoor storage facilities off route 11, heading north, just north of north gate. I think some of those are large enough for a vehicle, but not sure about the size of these trucks. I think thats worth paying a hundred bucks or so a month to keep it out of the elements.

Or maybe get with Steve here. Maybe he'll let you keep it at the house while you're gone.

going back to afghanistan. and i got a barn that im gona keep it in. so at least then it would be out of the weather.
ya im gona get some fuel stabalizer and disconnect the batteries. just not sure what else would help.

I would use a cover while it's in the barn. How about one of the battery minders that keep the batterys fresh instead of disconnecting them?
Treat the fuel like said. I would also get some fluid film and spray the whole underside and underhood of the truck. I use it on everything that sits and it keeps everything looking new.

Do you got anybody that you trust that can go start it up and get it up to operating temp, take it for a short trip?

Battery minder, fuel treatment, Dryer sheets inside and under the hood to keep the mice away, up on jackstands, maybe change the oil and grease it and wash and wax.
Check belts and hoses, tire pressure before putting back into service. What shape is the coolant in? Maybe change it before storing.

I agree with all said. Get a Battery Tender, and hook that up, if there's electricity anywhere near the barn. Oh, and thank you for your service.

so do moth balls or crystals. we use 'em around all our farm equipment when we put them away for the winter.

Back