• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Loaded the 6.5 for the first long trip !

My truck on the level Runs 2400rpm locked in 4th at 70mph. . .

I was hopping to achieve by going from the 4.10s to the 4.56s was to get some place in between my current 4th and 3rd gears. truck should still run 65mph in 4th gear with 4.56s its only really going to run the engine about 250 rpm more at the same speed so 70mph@2650Rpm. . . yea the R's are still up there but i have already ran it 100miles each way steadly Run 3,000Rpm and it only ran 10 degrees hotter, water temp stablized at 197*F Reving 3k. . .I only make this run 1 to 3 time a year so it ain't like it reved up every day most of the time i drive truck it dosen't seen more then 58-62mph. . .it spends 85% of it road time in town. . .

Plus nothing saying i can't drive a little slower. . .

What i didn't want to do is chip it up and mod the heck out the motor and now i have this kick but 350hp 580tq 6.5L power house that keeps smokin trannys. . .

I was trying to achieve same effect but building it from the other end. . .
Drop the gearing to the next set lower put RV/HD towing shift kit in the trans run Super HD cooler devices then slowly open up the motor do the box n exhaust then if it needed more do the wast gate then on to the chip. . .

Mike

What i didn't want to do is chip it up and mod the heck out the motor and now i have this kick but 350hp 580tq 6.5L power house that keeps smokin trannys. . .

Mike

ROFL... no fear of that happening, Mike.

You won't get anywhere NEAR 350. And the 4L80e is tough.

I get what you are trying to do, and yeah, it migh work, but you'll still be pulling at too high of an rpm and you will still be short on power, even with the high gearing.

Sorry.

These things are big air pumps... first, fix them to get more air in and out. Then fix the turbo so you CAN use extra fuel, then add more fuel (chip). The mechanics are pretty simple. If you don't drive it hard, popping in and out of gear, trying to smoke your tires, etc, you won't break anything.

But take your shot with the gearing regime you had planned, it's interesting because it's unconventional. By the time you get to the end of your path, it just might pull right up a wall.

Like I said, just remember that what the mechanics tell you, or what you know from your gasser experience, might not be right with this engine.

Just because its not in the norm don't mean it won't work. . .:thumbsup:

if you think about it every Mod for the 6.5 as you know it started out with some body telling some body else: "you can't do it" " it won't work". . .then the story end sorta like this :eek:<- no you can't guy . . . :D <- yes i can guy. . .

Mike

Ok up date guys i ran the same trip this weekend as last weekend only difference is i ran in 4th gear the whole trip, towing a smaller single axle trailer towing 2 ATV's instead of 3 units on the tandum axle car trailer towing in 3rd. . .truck burned the same amount of fuel round trip 3/4 of a tank. but instead of just running just under 200*F water temp it ran 210*F the whole trip. so single axle trailer n 2 ATVs was about 40% lighter. . .So why did it burn the same amount of fuel ? why did it run 10-12*F hotter water temp ?

I was hopping to see it run cooler or get better milage but neither happened it ran a little hotter burnt the same amount of fuel ! ! !
please do explain i feel like i am going Crazy here. . .

Mikey

Last edited:
I wonder if you truck is stock? Before adding my Heath computer, my truck lost all steam before 3000rpm. Now with the new program and A Team turbo it pulls hard to red line.

Your truck is dead bone stock, Mikey. If it was modified as we suggested, you wouldn't be having these power issues. A modded 6.5 will out-pull a 400SBC or a 454 BB - you can do lots to a 427 to make it pull better, but every time you touch it you'll need a gas tanker.

am not going to bother increasing the power of an engine that is circling the drain. . .
This truck is seconds from DEATH ! ! !

Mikey

Back