• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LML Transfer Case (shaft) leaking?

BoostN

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
It seems I have a leak possibly somewhere.

You can tell by this picture, the whole bottom side is coated in oil. Now, keep in mind this is ABOVE the exit point of the drain pan so I'm quite certain when I change the oil it has no way to get up there.

From what I can see, it's coming out around the shaft.

photo.jpg

Now, as I go down the truck my whole frame seems to be covered in trans fluid. I've searched and search for a leak, busted hose, etc and can't find anything.

Whats your take?

photo (1).jpg

Your first pic looks like the front diff, and I see what looks to be some oil coming down off the oil filter in that pic above the driveshaft.

I agree, that looks black like oil.

I've changed my oil every time but once when I was out of town.

Maybe they let it run on it.. I'm going to crawl back under it this evening and get some better angles.

I can't get any perspective on the first pic but the 2nd sure looks like a TC output seal leak. FWIW, mine leaked a bit for the first 25k or so and then quit even though I'm running the 3 qt M1 5W30 fill.

While laying under the truck I got my upside downs mixed up... and then the iPhone rotated it when I uploaded... I'll try to do better in the morning, I got in to late to mess with it. It's been in the garage for 3 days now just setting....

We had a leaking front axle seal on our 11 Suburban at about 5k. Dealer fixed it under warranty.

Back