• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

LLY--Fuel leak from engine-return lines?

Dieseldad97

I now know why.
Reaction score
Got a pretty good fuel leak from the drivers side if the engine. Everything from the engine back is wet including the rear bumper haha.

Could this be a return line issue? Anyone have a vid or pics of what I'm about to get into? Thanks.

All you can do is dig in and see where it's coming from. Never really heard of a major fuel leak on the drivers side though. Passenger side I would say check the fuel filter, but drivers side there isn't a lot really except for the main fuel lines and connections.

I recall hearing about a few guys experiencing a return line rub through in the bellhousing area on the drivers side.

Could be one of the fuel lines next to the chassis with a pinhole in it. Could be coming from the CP3. Does the engine still run OK? Still has prime?

Thanks for the reply's guys. Yes, the truck still has prime and starts and drives like normal. Whats not normal is the smell of diesel in the cab and the dripping when I'm parked. At first I thought it was an oil leak from the front diff but now I see it's diesel. Looks like I'm going to have to get into this when I have the time.

Good thing is the fuel leak repair I did by the tank last week is still holding up!

I wish I could afford a new truck some days.

So here's my problem. I'm a do it yourself kind of guy with most everything. I know I can fix this, but don't have the time these days. I'm far to cheap and proud to bring it to a shop hahaha so I'll keep leaking diesel wherever I stop haha. I have holidays in a month so it's gonna get fixed this year yet.

I know 1 payment on a new truck would fix up a whole bunch of little things on my 05, so I have to remain positive and continue to stay away from the car lots lol. But I would still love a new truck...:)

New trucks are a headache too. I'd much rather have our 05 over a new LML. Good luck with the diagnostics Gerald.

Well fella's, here is an update. I found the leak and fixed it. The return lines looked good but found an injector was leaking from where the hard line is screwed on. I was able to tighten it up a bit to stop the leak. Nice when things work out as good as this.
Thanks for the encouraging words and help!

So I'm a Mobile Washer on the side during the summer months. I go around and wash houses, residential and commercial buildings etc. I couldn't believe how messy my undercarriage was hahaha. I washed a house on Saturday and couldn't park on the concrete because of the fuel leak hahaha.

Today I got my 8gpm washer going and slid under my truck to wash'er up. All the diesel did a real good job cleaning all the oil and grease up!! I power washed the frame and the rig is looking pretty nice now hahaha.

Now, next job is to work on the friggen brakes. Rattle in the front and squeeling from the rear. Maybe another thread has to be started.

Nothing like owning a GM.

There's a great saying "GM's run bad longer than most cars run at all!" You could own a Ford PowerJoke, after-all...

Back