• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

limp mode and leaking transmission

Sparky8370

Do chickens have large talons
Reaction score
2001 2500HD duramax approx 205K miles
EFI live
Suncoast stage IV, 1056
P1711, P0093, C0281, P0700, U1000

Noticed a rumbling similar to a bad u joint at certain speeds. Comes and goes. A few days ago tranny went into limp mode and goes right back after clearing and trying to take back off. Transmission is leaking from somewhere between transmission and transfer. Not same location I've seen for pump rub. Attaching a pic of an allison I pulled off the internets where I circled approx location until I can get a better look. Think it's coming from area in red circle. Possiblely even where yellow dot is.

Any experiences with this issue? Suggestions?allison2.JPG

You may be the 1st. That's a mighty handsome transfer case you found on the internet. Not exactly a NP263...
I don't know much about the Allison problems but Ferman has some extensive knowledge about them and I believe Mike L stops by here frequently and checks this section of the forum Jay so you should get a response fairly soon.

Just now seen this one, but yes it's the extension housing. Fairly common issue, espescially on 01-04 trucks(in 05 ALLISON redesigned teh extension housing and beefed it up). Bad u-joints or broken mounts is what normally causes it to happen. This is the damage that the transfer case brace was built to prevent. Unfortunately to do the job properly the trans needs to come out. It can be done without pulling it, but more often than not the trans suffers a catastrophic failure short there after as you must have the trans out to check endplay and to make sure that all of the torrington thrust bearings stay in place.

Update: I got that piece changed last night. Still in limp mode. That piece cracking was just a coincidence. Oh and u joint was bad even though it appeared good when I originally checked at when I first heard the noises. Took valve body out tonight and cleaned. Problem solved. That gray sludge was everywhere. And the source appears to be that magnet in the pan breaking down. 8Tjust kept coming off that. A LOT. By the time it stopped, there were no more ridges on it. Makes sense as to why it stuck to other magnet and steel surfaces. It also left residue in the valve body that almost made it look printed!!

2012-12-23_19-56-19_419_zpsc169a4e1.jpg

Why the hell would the magnet deteriorate? The grey metal sludge on the spin-on magney is always normal though.

I highly doubtthe magnet is the problem. What you are probably seeing is the kolene coating from your steels on the magnet and in the valve body. When you had it out you should have pulled it apart and checked your clearances as that doesn't look good.

I probably should have. But I had no knowledge of what the hell I was doing and even less time to do it. My cousin was nice enough to let me use his garage so I could use the lift. He said he's had magnets with so much stuff on them you'd think it was part of the magnet. The part that baffled us both though was that this magnet had strips/ridges on it. By the time I got it clean enough that nothing else was coming off, the ridges were gone. And I was using a shop rag and brake cleaner. Until I ran out and used acetone. Which actually worked 100 times better.

Does this transmission dump excess/unfiltered fluid back through this e-valve? It was stuck pretty bad. After I couldn't get it to move, Iit w took a different one out just to have something to compare to. That one came out easy. I ended up up covering second to last passage with thumb and put rubber tip of air gun in there and blew. That got it moving a lil. I worked it back and forth until

It was free enough to work loose with a tyrap. Seems to be working just fine. Probably gonna flush when I can afford to. Or maybe even drop the pan again and look for more of that crap.

Back