• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Likely exhaust leak locations

Mighty spendy...

Very much so. I got prices from 3 reputable shops in the SLC area, and of course my mechanic. He beat them all. I trust his work, his word and he backs it up with a warranty better than the next cheapest shop.

I'll be carpooling with the wife for the next several weeks, counting down the days to have my rig back.

I placed an order for the Manifolds and Up pipes through ProFab Performance on Tuesday. Went for broke and upgraded to the heat treatment coating, also added the LBZ riser option to keep in compliance with the emissions laws here. Called them up this morning and was informed they will be shipping out today.

My mechanic ''buddy'' changed his mind on doing the work for me, so I will be taking the truck to Industrial Injection, a reputable and local shop. Seems the business to open here in SLC would be a diesel mechanic shop. I won't get the truck in until Dec 10th, and thats about par for the course with all the other shops I called.

I limped the rig home from my mechanics Monday and it will sit until I take it to the shop. Gives me time to tear the interior out and finish the stereo upgrades... too bad I didn't have it done sooner and could have just drowned out the noise:wacky:

Update,

Truck is at Industrial Injection. They performed their own diag on it to make sure what my mechanic found was correct. Ran into some issues with them not hearing the sound, had to drive back down and show them. Not so sure how they couldn't hear it, its constant and loud, but I digress.

They were adamant that I did not have a head gasket leak. I explained exactly how my mechanic diag'd it before with removing the dp. I took the mechanic for a ride so he could hear the sound under power, and they said they'd take another look.

They got back to me an hour later and said, admittedly with foot in mouth, that it was indeed a head gasket issue that they had never encountered before. The leak is at the back of the head hiding under the up pipe. It's very small, and somehow missed the oil and water passages since i'm not burning or leaking any fluids.

Truck should be back to me by Monday. Fingers crossed there is no issues with the head.

An end to this thread. FINALLY!!!

Got the truck back today, NO MORE TICKING! The shop still didn't know how my gasket decided to leak and not work its way into any coolant or oil but, its running strong now. The manifolds definitely change the tone of the exhaust and seem to drop egt's a lot faster. Very happy to have the ol rig back and running properly.

Back