• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lightweight to Heavyweight

Non Typical

Roller of the Smoke
Reaction score
Okay, so this is in response to the lightweight thread. Post up your numbers for how much weight the truck has had. Both in box only, and trailer weight.

I once towed a full sized semi sandtruck out of a ditch. Driver didn't think I could do it. ):h

Truck with box weight @ 12,500 lbs. Semi truck airbags and load range E tires plus a dumb young driver, ( don't guess please! :rolleyes5: ) plus 6,300 lbs of shingles

Truck with trailer @ GCVW 22,000 lbs

I use to have a 2 1/2 yard sander on my rig. That empty was about 1000lbs. My 9' heavily welded plow weighs over 1000lbs.

My truck w/plow was weighed on my scale and that was 10,500, plus empty sander brings me to 11,500.

At the city they HEAP, and I mean HEAP sand/salt mix into the sander. So figure 3 yards out of a 2.5 box.

11,500 + 3 yards of sand / salt mix. I'm going now to research what that approximately weighs. I'll tell you one thing, it was one HEAVY CHEVY with that sander...

Wow, wikopeda said one cubic yard of sand is 2700lbs!!!!!!! x 3 = 8100lbs + 11,500????

They say wet sand weighs 3500lbs a yard.... Who knows?!?

19,600lbs on 6 tires!!!! Holy shit, no wonder i could plow up hill through snowbanks until the snow was coming up over the hood in 2 wheel drive!!!

or 22000 going by wet weight?!?!?!

Attachments

• 100_0401.jpg
    100_0401.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 20
Props to ya! :thumbsup: You could probably about take on a train. ):h

Had no idea it was that overweight.... Even if i'm 12000 gvw, which I'm not positive thats 8000+over... I believe the fine is $1.00/lbs overweight. I used 4-low to climb the hills up and down, the steep ones anyhow. There are some really nasty hills in Worcester, MA.

Thats when I blew out reverse (see sig). After plowing for 12hrs, i went on sanding duty for another 10 or so, and tried backing up a really steep half ass excuse of a road (theory is, if i can't make it up, at least i'm sliding back down facing frontwards, back over the sand/salt I just layed down)

Was really tired, and after a tad of wheel spin decided i was going to try to go down the hill from the top. I rolled to the bottom of the hill, and never took it out of reverse!!! Hit the acc pedal to go forward, then realized i was in reverse. Put it in gear, drove around to the top of the hill, and went to reverse myself into better attack angle to get in position to go down the street, and nada outta reverse....

$2,400 mistake :( That was in 4-high.

Plowed/Sanded the next storm for 17 hours w/out reverse!!!! Had to plan all my turn arounds on hills, to roll back. Had to do it to pay for the tranny. My plow inspector said all my corners were really sloppy!! I couldn't clean em up w/out reverse!

Talk about pissed off at myself... Oh well. At least now I have a fresh tranny...

i'v had 16,000 on the back of my 1ton + truck @ 8800 = 24800:eek:.....she still ran 60mph down the hi-way.....just took a while to get there):h

I pulled a mostly empty tractor trailer that was stuck on a hill on snow, dragged him up and around the corner into a parking lot. Took a lot of yanking and tire-burning to budge it, but there was a Dodge and a Ford sitting there watching so I couldn't unhook and slink away with my tail between my legs.
This winter I pulled out a full size 66 passenger school bus that had gone way off the road into mud and snow, after a new F350 diesel couldn't budge it. That also took some life off my tires and probably driveline. What can I say, I like to show off.
Long time ago I hooked to a IH 4700 wrecker that was hooked to a Hino wrecker that was hooked to a police cruiser. The cruiser was at the bottom of the hill, the Hino was halfway down and the 4700 was near the top. Any winching just resulting in them pulling themselves down the icy driveway. I stayed on level ground and yanked the 4700 far enough that he could hold using me as a deadman, and winch the others up a little at a time.

Weight-wise I've been at least 14k with the truck loaded with mix, and I tow an 11k camper.

It was cool. But you probably don't want to buy a truck from me :-O

I hauled a trailer full of asphalt to the recycler yard, 17,000 on the trailer.
I didn't look like much at the time. I thought something was wrong with my truck as it didn't pull good at all.

the trailer i towed weighed 16,000 with a load of crushed gravel
it's deceptive how it looks like it should weigh less, eh?

Back