• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lighting choices

I remember having sealed-beam BFHs ... Rocks, gravel roads, burned filaments, and driving a one-eyed Nova home late one stormy night, when that one failed, too.

People who reminisce about the 'Good Old Days' conveniently forget stuff like that. :D

Haven't driven at night yet. I noticed a big difference when I turned them on 1st time in the shop last night.

Just got home from Joliet - about 40 miles away. The new lights are much better.

I was at the nostalgia drags with a top sportsman meet tied in. Good stuff!
y5epu7a8.jpg
bu7aryza.jpg

Sent from my SCH-I535

A headlight harness is a good place to start. GM sized the wiring pretty small, and voltage drop is pretty common across the harness. And I believe with a quick file job, you can fit in a 9005 high beam bulb into the low beam housing. Or you can go with a set of 9011 bulbs(WAGNER I believe is making a replacement for the HIR bulbs, it's wha I have in my high beams now).

http://shnu.us/HIR%20Trimming%20Stock.htm

Some more bulb stuff i found.

http://www.gm-trucks.com/forums/topic/152495-2014-sierrasilverado-bulb-sizes/

having a little problems with another balast or bulb...

so my denali projectors use 9005 high beams for both hi and low beams...

so which HIR bulb is a 9005 replacement?

I also need to reground and check my relays on my KD brightliht harness...reason I stopped using it, it was burning out silverstars pretty quick with the added voltage...

not that they last very long to begin with...but my wifes 9006 silverstars in her 04 tahoe are still working after 10 years...go figure...

9011 HIR is the 9005 replacement, and you'll need to slightly trim the Tab at the 12 o'clock position on the 9011. You'll see what you have to do when you compare it to the 9005. It's VERY minimal.

9011 HIR is the 9005 replacement, and you'll need to slightly trim the Tab at the 12 o'clock position on the 9011. You'll see what you have to do when you compare it to the 9005. It's VERY minimal.

I ordered two pair of the Phillips HIR1 9011...since both hi and low on the denali housing is 9005's... should be here Wednesday

will use Ferman's link to trim them...

Note: IIRC FErman said Wagner makes a 9011...but from all the reading I've done is, it won't be a true HIR bulb... Phillips owns the technology for the bulb...even though I read that Phillips actually changed the technology some since owning it, and the basic operation of it is no longer the same with the reflection heating the element further for a brighter light being changed (maybe even eliminated if I read correctly) they only original HIR's if you can find them have a globe shaped bulb...

I'm no electrician, but I think I may have a bad relay on the KD harness or something...I know there was some other reason I quit using it besides switching to HID's...of course it may be a 6.5 guy fix...Grounds grounds grounds... :(

I may just order another kit...this time the painless kit...or if anyone knows of a better kit...heavier gauge wiring etc...let me know...

I also want to do the foglight mod(no clue), as those are HID and still work great...so when I use my brights I don't hot strike the fogs...

The fogs still click off for a split second when you do the fog mod and you have HID's in them.

If you keep halogen in there, they don't respond as fast as HID, so they don't flick off.

The fogs still click off for a split second when you do the fog mod and you have HID's in them.

If you keep halogen in there, they don't respond as fast as HID, so they don't flick off.

Thanks...I guess I won't do the foglight mod until the HID's go bad and I go back to halogen or HIR's...;)

here is what I found out about the KD harness...I guess I never noticed it happened when I switched to the Denali projectors :(

from the KD website:
This includes most GM 4 lamp composites from 1990 on. For GMC Denali style lights with all 4 9005 lamps, you'll need to note so we can build special.

I guess this may be why the KD kit quit working:mad2:

They prob just mean it's "special" because it needs 2 9005 Connectors, instead of a 9006 & 9005.

That's the only difference. There's nothing "special" about it, or anything different that would cause an Electrical Issue.

They prob just mean it's "special" because it needs 2 9005 Connectors, instead of a 9006 & 9005.

That's the only difference. There's nothing "special" about it, or anything different that would cause an Electrical Issue.

honestly I thought both connectors were the same...only the housing is different...IIRC the KD 9006 plug still plugged into the 9005...

Farm and Fleet just had Xtremes on sale cheaper than I could get them from Amazon. I was surprised and would have just ordered but I was in need of a bulb. So I checked around and found out F&F sold Xtremes
I ordered the Xtreme's
Still mulling the fogs. IDK if I would like the yellow look...
Thanks gents for the input. I decided I want to stay away from the HIDs.

The 9011 HIR's are in...Brightest bright lights the truck has ever had...

As far as in the projectors go though...I feel the HID's reached further and with a whiter light...

Found out one of my bulbs was broken and working intermittent... I may just order a matching bulb and go back to the HID's since the ballasts are still installed...

I put a set of 25 watt HID in my fogs and while they do look alright, the color doesn't match the stock OEM projector HIDs, at all. I bought what was listed as a 4300k kit but it looks more like 8k to me. I should've just spent more money and gotten a quality 35 watt kit in a true 4300k.

I ordered two pair of the Phillips HIR1 9011...since both hi and low on the denali housing is 9005's... should be here Wednesday

will use Ferman's link to trim them...

Note: IIRC FErman said Wagner makes a 9011...but from all the reading I've done is, it won't be a true HIR bulb... Phillips owns the technology for the bulb...even though I read that Phillips actually changed the technology some since owning it, and the basic operation of it is no longer the same with the reflection heating the element further for a brighter light being changed (maybe even eliminated if I read correctly) they only original HIR's if you can find them have a globe shaped bulb...

I'm no electrician, but I think I may have a bad relay on the KD harness or something...I know there was some other reason I quit using it besides switching to HID's...of course it may be a 6.5 guy fix...Grounds grounds grounds... :(

I may just order another kit...this time the painless kit...or if anyone knows of a better kit...heavier gauge wiring etc...let me know...

I also want to do the foglight mod(no clue), as those are HID and still work great...so when I use my brights I don't hot strike the fogs...

Where are you guys finding these HIR bulb? I could use a set in the company car in a 9007.

I put a set of 25 watt HID in my fogs and while they do look alright, the color doesn't match the stock OEM projector HIDs, at all. I bought what was listed as a 4300k kit but it looks more like 8k to me. I should've just spent more money and gotten a quality 35 watt kit in a true 4300k.

They're just 35w bulbs being under-driven with a 25w ballast. That why there's so much color. The opposite would happen with a 55w ballast on 35w bulbs, it would wash out the color.

Last edited:
Back