• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lifter Question

doughboy18718

Diesel Retard!
Reaction score
I was talking to someone last night who suggested that, since I have a bad lifter in my 6.5, I should add about half a quart of ATF to my oil and run it for 15 minutes or so with some "rev therapy". He said that he had worked with a guy who did that for trucks with lifter problems and it cleared them up with no more issues. What do you guys think? Is it worth a shot?

The motor has 330k on it, and I plan to pull it but would like to wait until spring to do so if i can.

Thanks!!!

Last edited:
It will work. An ounce or two of gas line anti freeze in the oil will work good as well. Leo

I've used Rislone with good success in gas engines, I would think it would work the same in diesels. Anyone use it before?

I've used Sea-Foam with great success on nasty SBC's, lifters never stuck again afterwards, cleans the rings well also.

My tool truck had a sludged up 350 in it when I bought it, about a year after I got it a lifter stuck, put somekind of additive it(STP I think), lasted a few months and came back, put some Rislone in it, lasted about 6-9 months. A buddy told me about Sea-Foam, poured it in there, cured the lifter tick again, I thought for how long though. It cut my oil consumption to a third of what it was using, also. Well 50K miles later, the lifter never stuck again, I just wish it could fix a couple of burnt exhaust valves, its hard to move a 12k truck on six cylinders.

Most definitely worth a shot.

While ATF is acceptable, I prefer to use Marvel's Mystery Oil.

ATF is heavily loaded with detergents and will flush the sludge and carbon build up from the inside of your engine. It also works great for removing carbon from the tops of pistons. Don't ask how, but I bet some of the old wrench turners will know what I am talking about.

Check this product called Auto-RX. There are a lot of discussion at BITOG.
I have used it in my 6.5 and Camry and works great. It is slow process and you clean while driving it. You put it in the oil and drive for 2500 mi. Then change the oil and filter and drive it for another 2500 mi. Depends on the mileage, you may need a second treatment.

Warm the engine and then drain it.
Swap in a fresh filter and refill the engine with ATF to the full mark.
Run at idle and watch the oil pressure.

ATF is actually about a 7 wt oil. This will flush out all the crap reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeal good.

Be sure the Oil pressure stays up above 10 PSI. Dont get crazy with the rev therapy either.

1000 to 1500 Rpm and dont go rodding it down the boulevard.

About 15 minutes or so should do the trick.

Drop the oil and filter and replace with a fresh filter and 15-40 diesel grade oil.

There will be a small residual of ATF in the engine/cooler and such but it will not hurt anything.

best

MGW

Thanks for all the replies.

After talking to a few mechanics around here, I'm gonna try the sea-foam in both the oil and gas. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna try MGW's approach!

Thanks again

Just an update, I did the oil change and added the Sea-Foam to both the oil and fuel however when I went to start the truck, I drained the batteries trying to get it to fire, so they are charging as we speak.

Ok, I finally got the truck to start today (with the help of two new batteries), but no luck with the lifter. I added the right amount of Sea-Foam to the oil, and the rest to the gas. The truck sat for two days with the new oil and Sea-Foam in the crankcase before I could get it started. Would that affect anything, good or bad??? Does anyone have any ideas before I start tearing into the motor???

yea,, it ain't gonna happen in a few hours,,,, drive that tank of fuel out of it,, a few hundred miles,, and you should notice weather it is gonna help or not.

All I've ever used is gas line antifreeze in the oil. It usually works in under one minute. It was recommended to me by an "old" mechanic 30 years ago. They have usually forgotten more than the new ones will ever know. If the Sea Foam doesn't work, try it. Leo

Here's another update........I've ran the truck off an on for the last couple days with no change. I am going to try Missy's approach now and see if that works. If that doesn't my last hope is NVW's suggestion. If those don't take care of it, i will be pulling the motor as planned. Thanks again for all the replies!!!

Ok, so I've tried everything that I can think of with no luck. The tranny fluid, the gas line antifreeze, the sea foam. Nothing has worked thus far. After listening to it more and more, I may have been wrong all together about the lifter.

The noise, which sounds like a really loud tick, comes from the passenger side. When you place your hand on the valve cover of the driver side, there is no unusual vibration noticed, which is the same on the passenger side. However, you can clearly hear the noise through the airbox. Could this be an exhaust leak? Could the turbo make that kind of noise? There is no noticeable exhaust leak that I saw, but the turbo isn't exactly made of glass either. I would be gratefull to anyone who is willing to lend an ear to tell me what this noise is, past that the truck sounds fine.

Back