• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Lift Pump Control Harness

DieselCash

Trust but, verify
Staff member
Reaction score
I purchased the Kennedy Diesel lift pump control harness and installed it about 4 plus weeks ago.

I went out this morning and the lift pump was humming away pumping fuel.

I first pulled the key on 12V power and the lift pump still ran.

I then disconnected the constant 12V power and the lift pump stopped working.

I thought maybe this was just a fluke so I reconnected the constant 12V power. The lift pump instantly jumped back to life. I know have the constant 12V power disconnected.

Has anybody else had problems with there Kennedy lift pump control harness? Our is it just me?

I have heard nothing but good things about Kennedy Diesel which is why I went with him.

Maybe I just have the worst luck in the world when it comes to lift pumps and my truck.

I have called and emailed Kennedy Diesel. They are closed on Saturday so no response till Monday.

I've had his harness since about late June or July (can't remember exactly). No problems other than the fuse tap. Sometimes when I turn the key to run the glows I'll get nothing because the fuse has worked it's way out. I just go under the hood and push it down hard and it's good to go.

I've had his harness since about late June or July (can't remember exactly). No problems other than the fuse tap. Sometimes when I turn the key to run the glows I'll get nothing because the fuse has worked it's way out. I just go under the hood and push it down hard and it's good to go.

I did not use the fuse tap. I ran it too a fuse block I added inside my center console. I do not like using fuse taps for the reason you posted above. I still feel he makes good products. I have just had bad luck with lift pumps on my truck. :mad2:

Thanks for the response! :thumbsup:

he switches the ground on his harness. If you are running a walbro it gets it's ground thru the frame. I had the same issue

Mine started running instantly when power was applied. I might have to go out and look at my old (Kennedy ) harness to verify but it seemed to me I had to change the power to a constant power source. I can't remember if I had to do anything with the ground

After looking at the harness I remembered that I had to take the power wire and remove it from constant power and put it to switched power. As in on with the ign.

After looking at the harness I remembered that I had to take the power wire and remove it from constant power and put it to switched power. As in on with the ign.

That defeats the entire purpose of having his lift pump control harness. Have you talked to kennedy diesel about it?

I guess if it is nice tomorrow I will play around with it.

I like the dual lift pump relay upgrade better myself.

I wish somebody would make them and sell them. I would like a toggle switch instead of a push button. I frequently hotwire the lift pump when doing diagnostics.

I am leaning toward the walbro causing this. I will have to call Kennedy Diesel on Monday to find out how to fix it.

I disconnected the walbro pump from the lift pump control harness. I still have the factory lift pump in place. I have my walbro push threw the factory lift pump. Mainly for in case the walbro goes out, again. I have back up in place. I then connected the factory lift pump and everything worked perfectly, like it is suppose to.

This has to be an easy fix! :mad2:

I had this working perfectly for at-least 4 weeks. :WTF:

I like the dual lift pump relay upgrade better myself.

I wish somebody would make them and sell them. I would like a toggle switch instead of a push button. I frequently hotwire the lift pump when doing diagnostics.

I paid too much to put this Kennedy lift pump control harness on the shelf.

If you find me a write up with a wiring diagram I could build a lift pump control harness like you want.

Let me know.

I use the Kennedy dual lift pump/harness setup in my Duramax. I installed it and have had zero problems with it. I am sure my install was a little different than the install for the 6.5 setups.

I use the Kennedy dual lift pump/harness setup in my Duramax. I installed it and have had zero problems with it. I am sure my install was a little different than the install for the 6.5 setups.

The directions I got were for both duramax and 6.5. They pretty much connect the same, just some things go to different locations.

It was working great on the walbro, then Saturday morning I took the garbage out and the LP was humming away.

For the moment I have the factory lift pump connected and it is all working fine.

But, I prefer to run my truck on the walbro.

Yes I did talk to John. He hates Walbro's as well as any other aftermarket LP. I suspect because they don't work with his harness. I took mine off my 96 and made my own relay harness that plugged into the factory LP plug. On yours that would work but you wouldn't have the LP run during wait to start unless you wired it in there. Been debating on whether to use it on my 94

FYI: I have a LP relay harness available its plug and play, uses marine grade wire, weather pack connectors and relay, uses OPS to trigger relay only so the heavy load is taken off the OPS and original 18ga wire.
Only $120.

Link with video.
http://www.thetruckstop.us/forum/showthread.php?42798-Lift-Pump-Relay-Harness-120-(Video)

I actually forgot about yours when I got the Kennedy one. I paid way too much to not use it or to even replace it. I will call Kennedy today and talk this over with him. It has to be an easy fix. The LPH works with the factory pump. Just does not work with the walbro.

Kennedy runs his lift pump control harness with the ground. Most people use the + 12V side on a relay. His use the - 12V side.

The walbro pump grounds itself to the frame. It might need a ground wire to properly work. But, it also grounds itself out with the bolts touching the frame it mounts too.

So, to fix this I went to home depot and picked up 4(ea) 1/4" neoprene washers. I put one on both sides of the mounting ear tabs on the walbro.

So far it seems to fix the problem.

My buddy just installed the pure edge/air dog raptor lift pump. His came with a thick hard plastic frame. It used three our four bolts with two on top and either two our one on the bottom. That mount would also work if you do not have our want to try the neoprene washers.

Yes, I do still have to worry about the inside ear portion touching the bolt. If it is, it is not enough to crank over the pump. I will have to fix that head ache when it happens or becomes a problem.

Back