• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

lift keys

Duramaxx04

Reaction score
i just recently ordered a set for my truck i was wondering who has them installed and if you installed them yourself and how hard it was to install
they dont look like they would be very hard
my only concern is the compression tool needed for the job i really dont want to buy the tool only to just use it once i am looking to rent one or to try and make something that will work
any advice?

No experience here, But word of mouth says they can be a pain with out the tool and maybe a lift..

It can be done though...

It's not so much as it being a pain without the tool, it is DANGEROUS! I think your life and body parts are worth more than $100 or so. If you were closer I would lend you my tool. Good luck!!!

Ive bent/broke pullers, c-clamps etc. trying to pull mine, I gave up & just cranked the stock ones all the way. The green keys can be cranked an inch higher than the stock keys. My opinion the ride sucks way to harsh, I went back down to 3/4" higher than stock.

I dropped mine as low as possible with my 315s and still dont like the ride but just dropping them 3 turns from where the were made a difference.

I think a lot of it has to do with the tires though too. The BFGs are a really rough riding tire compared to the cheap highway terrians that were on it before.

by cranking your keys you put undue stress on your ball joints and other components of your front end. You want to buy a true leveling kit for your truck. The best one out there is the Cognito kit because it doesn't use keys at all, it uses new control arms. However, if you are on a budget then the ReadyLift products are the route to go. They also sell the torsion key tool you will need.

dirtymax35:

It will take as many as it takes. All trucks are different. Get a base measurement and go from there.

Each turn is 1/4" lift. If you want my opinion I say lift it but dont level it, leveled they look dumb an d ride like hell.

Also remeber that after each adjustment you have to go drive over some rough ground to load the tortion bars.

by cranking your keys you put undue stress on your ball joints and other components of your front end. You want to buy a true leveling kit for your truck. The best one out there is the Cognito kit because it doesn't use keys at all, it uses new control arms. However, if you are on a budget then the ReadyLift products are the route to go. They also sell the torsion key tool you will need.

The Cognito arms do not add any lift what so ever, they have a different angle balljoint for the extreme angle that maxed out green keys add & they don't hit the frame stops as fast.

Is it done?? I have the GMC OTC Torsion Tool. The real one and I am real close to Waller. Did mine, by myself in an hour. Did the keys and shock extenders, still rides factory like.

like Meeko said. The shock extenders will make a difference. Get the tool the keys are tight and that's slot of pressure they are holding.

Back