• Welcome to The Truck Stop! We see you haven't REGISTERED yet.

Your truck knowledge is missing!
    • Registration is FREE , all we need is your birthday and email. (We don't share ANY data with ANYONE)
    • We have tons of knowledge here for your diesel truck!
    • Post your own topics and reply to existing threads to help others out!
    • NO ADS! The site is fully functional and ad free!
    CLICK HERE TO REGISTER!

Problems registering? Click here to contact us!

Already registered, but need a PASSWORD RESET? CLICK HERE TO RESET YOUR PASSWORD!

Leroy's Fluidampr harmonic balancer video

I have a NV4500.
It was posted that I could put the transmission in 5th gear to hold the crank.

For some reason that doesn't sound advisable at 200' lbs of torque.

Any opinions?

Glagulator made a tool to hold the balancer from turning, out of a piece of 1-1/4" angle. Utilizing the pulley bolts.
Looks like he could have used flat stock.
A shallow oval notch cut out between the 2 bolts for the washer.

At least 11" long from the furthest pulley bolt to the end on the angle

If the bell housing inspection cover is easily removable. If it is a manual transmission, or an automatic.
Take a bolt longer than the original clutch cover or flexplate bolt, a piece of chain, old tire chain side rail works real nice for this.
Pass the bolt through the chain link and into the flexplate/flywheel, secure the other end down so that the slack is removed in the direction that the crankshaft is going to rotate, torque the bolt then put the original bolt back into the hole.
or if You have a helper, get a flywheel wrench and have the helper hang onto that wrench while You torque the bolt.
A cheater pipe might need to be used too.

I have a NV4500.
It was posted that I could put the transmission in 5th gear to hold the crank.

For some reason that doesn't sound advisable at 200' lbs of torque.

Any opinions?

Glagulator made a tool to hold the balancer from turning, out of a piece of 1-1/4" angle. Utilizing the pulley bolts.
Looks like he could have used flat stock.
A shallow oval notch cut out between the 2 bolts for the washer.

At least 11" long from the furthest pulley bolt to the end on the angle
I used a demo bar with a bolt to the pulley and the bar jammed into the crossmember. That or a cordless impact will do it.

TORSIONAL DAMPER AND FRONT CRANKSHAFT SEAL REPLACEMENT }*•-•{ Remove or Disconnect (Figures 19 and 20) Tool Required: J 39046 Torsional Damper Puller

1. Negative battery cables. Refer to SECTION OA.
2. Accessory drive belt.
3. Bolts and crankshaft pulley.
4. Torsional damper bolt and washer.
5. Torsional damper. Use J 39046 (figure 19). 6. Front crankshaft seal. Pry out with a screwdriver. -•« Install or Connect (Figure 20) NOTICE: For steps 3 and 4, refer to "Notice" on page 6A6-1. Tool Required: J 22102 Seal Installer
1. New front crankshaft seal. Use J 22102 (figure 20). Lubricate the seal lips with engine oil. 3106r4578 • Apply engine oil to the crankshaft stub.
2. Torsional damper. Tap into place with a mallet. Make sure the key is in place. Make sure the damper is all the way on the crankshaft.
3. Torsional damper bolt and washer.
3. Clamp and bolt. Tighten • Bolt to 42 N.m (31 lbs. ft.).
4. Wiring harness.
5. Air cleaner.
6. Negative battery cables. ft Tighten • Bolt to 270 N.m (200 lbs. ft.).
4. Crankshaft pulley and bolts. Tighten ft.). • Bolts to 40 N.m (30 lbs. 5. Accessory drive belt. 6. Negative battery cables.

Back